Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

TV power bridge into existing outlet and protected by an external surge protector

Hello,

I previously hire a company to run AC power for my TV mounted on the fireplace and my concern was having it surge protected. What he basically did was that he added a recessed outlet on back of the TV where the power cord is plug into. He then ran romex cable I believe from that outlet down to an existing outlet, basically he tapping the existing outlet for power. An external surge protector is then plug into that existing power outlet which now protect the TV from surge according to him. The TV also now now has constant power. The only way to turn power off is to pull the power cable from the TV. Have anyone ever heard of doing it this way? I don't understand how the external surge protector is protecting the TV without it plugging into the surge protector first.

andytran73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 566

TV power bridge into existing outlet and protected by an external surge protector

How does he transition from the romex to the surge protector?

The way I've done it and seen it done is that a receptacle is placed in the wall behind the TV, as you have. Romex is then used to connect it to an "inlet," it looks just like a plug mounted in a box. Then, you plug a short extension cord into your surge protector or UPS and the other end into the inlet.

Just like the PowerBridge.

OK, I get what you're saying now. Yes, the surge protector will work, but it won't be as effective. It doesn't really just stop surges at the one outlet. Since it is connected to the line to some extent it can protect the circuit. The problem is that there are delays in the response for the surge protector.

While it may "work" I don't think it is what you expected. You mentioned "power bridge" in the title, do you have one? If so, have him connect it up right.

Last edited by AandPDan; 12-13-2011 at 05:35 PM.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Here is some made by Panamax http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-Wall/index.php
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

AandPDan, Thanks for your response, that is what I needed to know. I currently don't have a PowerBridge since he told me he could have my TV surge protected if I had an external surge protector and all he has to do was bridge/tap the circuit.

gregzoll--Thanks. I will look into that and maybe have him come back and remove the recess outlet on the wall on back of the TV and replace it with one of the Panamax recess outlet.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

I have spoken to the installer today to remove the recess outlet where the TV is directly connected to and replace it with a recess Panamax surge protector. He said it will involve removing the TV and removing the plug from previous surge protector, whatever he meant by that.

Tags
electrical outlet, surge protector