Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

TV Mount

I just bought a new 42" inch LCD TV. I want to mount it above my brick fireplace. I have checked the temperature when I have a fire and it is safe for the colors of the TV. Plus I only use the fireplace about 10 times a year. I am more concerned about buying the correct Tilting mount and the type of hardware I will need to secure it into the brick of the fireplace and to check for the flue on the fireplace as I do not want to disturb it. I have seen TV mounts through Amazon and they are very cheap but I want to make sure I purchase the right one and get the right hardware to hold this TV with out a problem with it tilting down. Please advise and what type of drill and hardware will I need to complete this project.

andrewgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

TV Mount

The best place to get a quality mount is at a store that sells the TV's. They don't want their products falling off the walls. As far as the anchors, something like these http://www.newpak.net/store/RackSyst...ORINGHARDWARE/ would work just fine. Just make sure that they are long enough to make the last 3/4 of the anchor is in the mortar joint. Probably 3 in the top row and 2 in the bottom will be just fine. A 42" isn't that heavy. Put the top anchors into the horizontal mortar joint, but the bottom row may not line up with a horizontal joint so go into the verticals. You can get these anchors at any big box store. Make sure that you get the correct drill to go with the anchors. One quarter inch would work but I'd use 5/16" anchors. Have a friend help you hang the TV, I've hung a number of them but sometimes they can get a little out of hand and it's better safe than sorry! Oh...get some extra washers for these anchors, one washer on each side of the mount. the holes in the mount are probably larger than the anchors.

Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

TV Mount

I would look into Tapcon screws as well. I recently used them on a couple projects I had that required mounting to a brick wall of our house and I am going to use them anywhere I can moving forward. Make sure you have a hammer drill (Harbor Freight if you don't). These may be overkill but they are extremely easy to install and I have always had a better feeling that my Tapcon anchors were secure vs. other anchor types.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

TV Mount

What you need to install you’re T.V bracket to the brick wall is a hammer drill with a masonry bit. Fit mounting anchors into the holes to provide a more secure grip. (The TV mount may come with its own anchors to use. Otherwise, #8 plastic mounting anchors should support a good 300 lbs when mounted to a brick wall.)
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #5

TV Mount

Sorry Guys... I have to disagree with you both. Tapcon's are great when you have a direct to cement attachment. This has a gap between mortar and TV support. This allows a small amount of flex in the screw.

There is outward forces, not just shear force so I wouldn't hang much more than a flower pot with plastic anchors.

The anchors I recommended are at least 1/4" steel, and will not strip out the hole. Holes have to be drilled in the mortar anyway, so do it right.

Last edited by Johnboy555; 03-22-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #6

TV Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy555 View Post
Sorry Guys... I have to disagree with you both. Tapcon's are great when you have a direct to cement attachment. This has a gap between mortar and TV support. This allows a small amount of flex in the screw.

There is outward forces, not just shear force so I wouldn't hang much more than a flower pot with plastic anchors.

The anchors I recommended are at least 1/4" steel, and will not strip out the hole. Holes have to be drilled in the mortar anyway, so do it right.
Sorry, but the anchors you suggest are expansion anchors which are meant for concrete and if drilled into the brick and when tightened they would split the brick. The brick over the fireplace is only brick veneer so the plugs will work.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #7

TV Mount

Why would you drill into the brick?? They are fire hardened and not easy to repair if you don't want the TV there. The holes are drilled into the motar joints...easily repaired if needed. I've installed dozens of this type of installation and this is what I would do. You do what you would like, it's not my TV....
Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #8

TV Mount

Quote:
Why would you drill into the brick?? They are fire hardened and not easy to repair if you don't want the TV there. The holes are drilled into the motar joints...easily repaired if needed. I've installed dozens of this type of installation and this is what I would do. You do what you would like, it's not my TV....
Johnyboy I have drilled a thousand holes into brick and also drilled into the mortar. The mortar is the weakest part and tends to crumble and make the hole wider either by drilling or after installation when there is movement. So, as to this day when we have to drill into brick or mortar we always drill directly into the brick and use pugs with know issues as we did when we took the easy way out and drilled into the mortar and had call backs every time.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

TV Mount

Quote:
I 100% agree with you, but the few times I've had to do this I did not feel comfortable using the mortar joint as a mounting point. If I were hanging something simple like a latticework or something lightweight I would use the mortar, but for something like an expensive TV I would hit the brick. I guess my thoughts are that any blemishes can be covered up with something else later - decorative pieces, photos, etc. (which would require more holes! )

brich is offline   Reply With Quote