TV Cable Problems - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

TV Cable problems

Okay, we are at our wits end with this "problem" so I'm turning to the internet for help--hopefully.
We have a very small house with an almost unusable living room. Our problem is that we want to run a TV cable wire and put in a box on the opposite side of the room, from where the one is now. I called the cable company and thought all was good until the guy came out and told me it is impossible to run a wire down the wall we want due to our kitchen cabinets being on the other side of the wall--he said there are extra "braces" in between the studs to prevent him from being able to drop a wire down from the attic. He suggested we call an electrician--of which we have tried and have been told it is at least a 4 week wait and then they aren't sure they can help us. Has anyone else had this problem or better yet found a solution to the problem????

Advertisement

angelaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

TV Cable problems

Welcome to the forum Angelaz!

Assuming that you don't have a crawl space or basement that you run the cable through... there are some products out there where you can wirelessly hook up a remote tv.

See: http://www.x10.com/products4/google/..._cable_tv.html

Best Buy and Circuit City also have some alternate products similar to this. I've never used anything like this so I can't make any statements as to how well this works.

Advertisement

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-30-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Additional Links
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #3

TV Cable problems

I bought the Terk Leapfrog transmitter from best buy and now I'm having trouble again (I THOUGHT I was pretty good at all this technical stuff with my computer etc, but now I'm doubting my abilities! ) I have a VCR to run the cable wire through also...so this is what is "messing me up" I think. I have a coaxiel cable coming from my wall and this is the "cable service wire". I don't have a box from my cable company, just this wire. I need to hook up my Cable through the VCR and into the TV all with the transmitter to run the tv from the opposite side of the room. Can anyone help me now?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

TV Cable problems

Welcome to the forum Angelaz!!

Have you considered just buying a length of coaxial cable and connecting it to your current hook up (jack) and running it along the perimeter of your room to the other wall where you want your cable hook up to be? They sell some plastic conduit type material that you can "hide" the cable in to run it to the other side of the room.... you can even paint the stuff to match walls, baseboards, etc. Just a thought.
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

TV Cable problems

Has the cable guy actually checked to see if there are any extra supports in the wall for the cabinets? I dont know what other type of support there would be in a wall, other then the studs that belong there anyway. I think he's pullin your chain. JMO
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #6

TV Cable problems

Okay, now Hubby is home and is having just as much trouble with this as I did. Directions aren't the best, as he is finding out. I think our "new" problem we've discovered is that we have just a basic cable coax coming from the wall (this is where our cable was connected to the vcr/tv before) and we don't have a "box".......seems the transmitter needs to come from the cable wire coax and the transmitter doesn't have a coax connector---just the receiver has the coax connector?????
I agree with you zel, about the cable guy pulling my chain but it is just as hard to get hubby up in the hot attic as it was him---something about hot tx summer heat ;0) I'm about to go up there myself and check it out!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Agent 000

TV Cable problems

I feel responsible for making the suggestion for the wireless gear. I downloaded the instructions for the Terk and here's what I make of it.

I'm looking at page 8. Evidently your cable coax hooks to the VCR and you use the RCA outpt jacks (yellow, red, white) to cable to the transmitter from the VCR. The VCR acts as the tuner. It appears that you will not have the ability to view independent channels at both locations... whatever is tuned in at the VCR is what is seen on both TVs. That kind of stinks doesn't it? The only other way out of that is to split the cable to 2 VCR's, but that means you have to go into the VCR room to change the channel and that's not quite peachy either. Is it too late to box it back up and get a refund? I apologize for sending you down this road. I was aware that the technology for wireless audio/video was available... I just wasn't aware of the caveats. I feel like a real dumbass.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #8

TV Cable problems

PLEASE DON'T FEEL RESPONSIBLE. I think we have a way around it. We decided that the transmitter wasn't made to transmit a tv across the room, but a tv in another room to transmit to a tv in a different room (does that make sense?). So, with that said, we are going to call the cable company out to put in a connector (our house is prewired for cable, the wires just need the connectors) in our son's room and then have his tv transmit to our tv.....I think that should work, right?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #9

TV Cable problems

I forgot to say, we tried the VCR hook up with the transmitter and it wouldn't work. We only have one TV-(-seems so simple) that we want to put on the opposite wall. Just another pain in the rear--the people that built our house really messed up many many things.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Cabinet Installer

TV Cable problems

I wouldn't give up on actually installing a new jack for your TV where you want it. I think you will be happier in the end. The chance of finding blocking in the wall seems to go up the older the house is. It is unlikely that the cabinets have any thing to do with wither or not you have blocking between the studs. It was and is a practice by some to block studs in the middle of the wall. Backing placed between the studs for the cabinets is most like turned on edge to provide more surface area for attaching the cabinets and will not block the stud cavity. It is rare to find this much any more either. You can determine if their is blocking in the wall with a low cost stud finder. Place it on the wall and find the studs and then move it up and down between them to locate any blocking. You wont see much from the attic any way. You will need to drill a hole in the top of the wall to start feeding your wire down it. If there is blocking across the stud cavity you will need to get a drill bit that is long enough to reach the blocking from the attic. The bit itself is expensive if you have no other use for it. If there is blocking in the wall, you may be better off getting an electrician to do this for you as it is a common tool for them.
http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

TV Cable problems

I recently spent a few hours in my attic, laying face down on insuation with roofing nails inches from my head in 90+ degree weather, so I can totally understand not wanting to go up there, lol.

In my house, the drywall is actually sitting up about 1/2" off the subfloor. In the rooms with rugs, the base board moulding is also sitting up 1/2". I was actually able to run some speaker wires for my surround sound system in this gap below the drywall. If your house is similar, maybe this would be an alternative to the attic? Best of luck!
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #12

TV Cable problems

Angelaz....does your home have a basement? I guess since you only mentioned the attic you may be on a slab and not have access from below. Is the wall where you want the new hook up an exterioir wall??? If it is you can try running cable outside and then come in through the wall.....just a thought.
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

TV Cable problems

Just another typical lazy cable guy. Their typical soultion to everything is just to staple wires around the baseboard, door frames, etc, anything they can do to just be finished. There is normally no extra blocking in a wall for cabinets that would prevent a wire from being fished. That excuse not with standing, if the wall is over 9' high, it will most probably have a row of "fire blocking" in the stud cavities, and this will indeed make fishing the wire more difficult, but usually not impossible. After cutting the sheetrock opening for the cable jack location, it should be possible to drill up through the block using one of the flexible, long shanked drill bits made for fishing wires. Drilling a larger 1 1/2" hole through the top wall plate in the attic will make it easier to be able to guide a fish tape or fiberglass wire pulling rod through the hole in the fire blocking and down to the wall cut out. Now attach the cable to the fish tape or rod and pull it back into the attic. Have someone shine a flashlight into the wall cavity from below, and you should be able to see the spot of light when looking through the large attic hole and use it as a guide to the fire blocking hole,
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #14

TV Cable problems

Thank you to all who posted with my "problem". I had the cable company come out again and this time they showed up in force (three of them total) and climbed in the attic--even with 90 degree temps. Apparently I do have braces for my cabinets and they are not turned on edge--also I have what is called a "pony wall". They had an 18 inch drill and drilled through the pony wall thing, the first brace for the cabinets and then came out at the top of my cabinets--we then ran the cable between my two cabinets and out the bottom and then made a hole and went back into the wall and down to the bottom of the wall to come out on the other side of the wall, where I needed the cable. We are redoing the counter tops in a couple of weeks with tile backsplash, so it will all be covered up! Yeah!!!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
Agent 000

TV Cable problems

Woooo Hoooo!!! Glad to hear that your issue came to happy conclusion.

Advertisement