Turning 1 Outlet Into 4 - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Turning 1 outlet into 4

Hi all. I have an outlet box for the sump in the basement with a single circle electrical outlet. I want to take that and turn into a 4 outlet box. The junction box is a 4 outlet size already, so I should just need to but a couple outlets. Is there a diy wiring guide for this. I'm sure its pretty simple, but a diagram would be great. Btw, this is the end of the line, no other boxes connect from this box.

Thanks.

Advertisement

xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

Turning 1 outlet into 4

assuming you've read the disclaimer

(Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper saftey precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any DIY construction or remodeling task!)

And that you know how to safely disable power (heck just go ahead and kill the main to be safe...)

Gut the old box, you should have just one bundle of wires, with a black/white/bare ground wire.

Run the black to the darker brass screw on the outlet. There should be an identical screw right below that one, take a small piece of wire and go from there, to the 2nd outlets' brass screw.

Do the same for the white,

and then the same for the bare ground screw.

Advertisement

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Turning 1 outlet into 4

you have a 4-gang box with one single receptacle in it? typically when a single receptacle is used it means that its a dedicated circuit and the single is used so you cant plug anything else into it besides what the circuit is dedicated to but since its in a 4-gang i dont think it was a proffesional installation. make sure the existing outlet is gfi protected since its in the basement. then you could just daisy chain the hots(black) from gold screw to gold screw and the neutrals(white) from silver screw to silver and the ground(bare) from green to green and so on. or you could pigtail the existing wires into 4 wires with a wire nut, (pig tail the blacks into 4 and the nuetrals into 4 and the same for the ground) and connect each color to the screws like above. i cant say ive ever seen a quadruple duplex cover plate but im sure you can find them somewhere.
gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Turning 1 outlet into 4

Sorry for the confusion..I have a double gang box with a single outlet in the center. Theres one outlet instead of the four you would normally have in a double gang box. And yes, I'm sure it was just meant to power the sump and nothing else, but theres no other boxes in that area. So I could either tap off of that box and make a totally new box, do an entirely new run of the power panel, or do what I plan on doing, just replace the singe outlet with 4.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll post a pic when I get done, I'm sure I'm just confusing you guys due to my lack of knowledge of the lingo.
xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Turning 1 outlet into 4

The box is 4" x 4"? (2 gang size) If you do this, you will have to get a 2 gang plaster ring to adapt the box. GFCI protection if this is an unfinished portion of the basement. Either 2 GFCI recepticles, or 1 GFCI and a duplex from the load terminals of the GFCI.

Am I correct in assuming you want 2 duplex outlets?
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
So Cal Electrician

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to hbsparky

Turning 1 outlet into 4

if it is a single recepticle, it's probably like that for a reason...meaning check the amp draw of the sump pump before doing this, the first thing you plug into the duplex may trip the breaker when the pump is running.

Advertisement