Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to install lighted medicine cabinet

We decided to make over our bathroom, we took down a light fixture that had two hanging globes and wanted to put up a lighted medicine cabinet. My first mistake: when taking down the previous light fixture I didn't mark the wires, yes I know, BIG mistake, lesson is being learned.

After the light fixture was removed I cut a hole in the wall and fed a wire from the junction box to the hole I made in the wall to hook up the medicine cabinet. I also changed the light switches (to go with the new color).

My problem? I have tried multiple ways to connect the wires back and nothing is working right. I've included a picture of the light switches and junction box. The only thing I can figure out for sure is that if I connect the wires from set 2 & 3 it gives me power to my ceiling fan in the bathroom and office, and I can turn on/off the fan with the switch.

I cannot figure out how to connect everything to give me power to my medicine cabinet and be able to turn it off and on. It either doesn't come on at all or if it does then I can't turn it off.

Please don't chastise me too much I am already in the dog house with this make over as is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to install lighted medicine cabinet-img_39001.jpg   Trying to install lighted medicine cabinet-img_39071.jpg  

shortfry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

At the switch you only have a white and black wire so in your junction box you should have a white wire remarked as black, and connected to a black wire. Then this remarked wire will go the switch. Then the black wire coming back from the switch would be connected to the light in the cabinet.
You need to figure out which cable entering the junction box is HOT.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
shortfry16 (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

How do I tell which one is HOT? I'm guessing I turn off everything and use a multimeter to check? Sorry to be such a novice. I understand what you are saying and I think I get it, but before I do anything I wanted to check back.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

I just tried what you said and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! It worked like a charm!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

I just tried what you said and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! It worked like a charm!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
I=E/R

Turn off power and remove the wire nuts. Each cable has a white and black wire so you will have to measure with your meter -AC Voltage - between the white and black pair from each cable. Arrange the wires so you will be able to take measurement without touching anything except your meter leads to the wire ends.
Be extra careful. Turn on the breaker and measure the white and black of each cable. One will have 120 V that is your power feed.
Turn off the breaker and mark this pair as the feed.
You need to identify the cable going to the switch. Do you know which one goes to the switch?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
I=E/R

Good. You figured it out before I finished typing my last reply.....