Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

Trying to install Leviton In-Wall LCD timer switch

I currently have two exterior lights above my front door. They stay on 24/7, mainly because I always forget to turn them on and off at the right times. In the interest of trying to save energy, I ordered one of these nifty little switches:

http://www.smarthome.com/1122W/Levit...6124H-W/p.aspx

When the package arrived, I took it out and noticed the back had four protruding wires: green, black, white, and blue. There is a wiring diagram at the link above for specifics.

Currently, I have a Leviton decora switch controlling the lights. However, when I went to take that switch out, I found that there were just two black wires coming out of the box to the switch (in addition to the ground). The whites were capped at the back of the box, and there wasn't a blue to be found.

I've replaced every light switch in my house, and I haven't had a problem since most of them were plug and play, just like the old ones were wired. But this one is throwing me a curveball. I have a multimeter, but have never really learned to use it beacuse of the simple replacement jobs I've been doing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Git

You have two black wires, right?

One of them will be "hot" as in energized and the other one will run to the light. You need to find out which one is which, because the black wire to the light gets connected to the blue wire.

Your going to need a voltmeter or voltage tester to find out which one is which
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Yes Git, I have two black wires. If the hot one goes to the blue, where does the other one go? And what do I do with the spare wire coming from the switch?
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
Connect wires per wirring diagram as follows:WHITE lead to NEUTRAL (WHITE WIRE).GREEN lead to ground wire(bare wire): This is where you need a volt tester-Black lead to line wire(feed 120 volts).Blue lead to LOAD wire (Wire going to lights)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #6

I bought one of the 5A Timers, it has only 3 wires coming from it: black, blue, and green.
I connected the green to ground (screwed it into the back of the box itself).
I connected the blue to what I thought was the hot black wire (I don't have a multimeter), and the black to the other black wire, but when I restored power, the fan came on and never went off, and no red lights are on on the switch. So I reversed the blue and black wires and the same thing happens - always on.

I don't really know what's going on here...
kripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Git

List out exactly how many wires you have and their colors?

Also, how many switches currently control the device - only one, two?

The blue wire "usually" gets connected to the "load" - the device your trying to power - a light, fan, etc
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #8

This is a bathroom, with two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. I've already replaced the light switch with a motion-detecting one. It is on the left and the fan switch is on the right.

Here's a crude diagram, hopefully it tells the story...
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to install Leviton In-Wall LCD timer switch-powderrm.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git View Post
List out exactly how many wires you have and their colors?
You got help us so we can help you
Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git View Post
You have two black wires, right?

One of them will be "hot" as in energized and the other one will run to the light. You need to find out which one is which, because the black wire to the light gets connected to the blue wire.

Your going to need a voltmeter or voltage tester to find out which one is which
While you're at it, you might as well instruct the OP how to tell which one of the Black wires is HOT and which one goes to the light. Attach one of the wires/leads of the Voltmeter or Tester to EITHER of the BLACK wires.The other (lead of tester) should be attached to the base of the box. (Assuming the box is Grounded). When the tester or VM indicates power, that's where you attach the Black wire of the timer, to. The other wire gets attached to the BLUE lead of the timer. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
Child Alert! Pull Up!

"Yes Git, I have two black wires. If the hot one goes to the blue, where does the other one go? And what do I do with the spare wire coming from the switch?"

The hot does not connect to the blue!

If your uncertain about using a voltmeter, or don't have one, go to your local hardware store, Lowes or HD and ask an associate (in the Electrical Dept. - because the other three people working in the store are sure to tell you "thats not my department") for a voltage detector (Greenlee makes a nice one for about $15). Separate your two black wires apart from each other, turn on the power to that circuit and simply place the detector to the wire, it will light up/buzz. Thats your wire to connect to the Black wire on the back of your switch. The other black wire connects to the Blue wire, all the whites get tied together, and of course the grounds together.
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

What I depicted in the diagram was the box the way it was before I installed the new lightswitch.
All wires in the box are black, like in the diagram.
There's a bundle of 3 white wires all going into the same marette. None of those wires actually attach to the switches in any way.

Since I plan on doing a lot of general electric work in the new house (replacing switches, lights), I'll spring for a multimeter. I will report back later tonight with my findings.

Thanks for your patience!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #13

Okay I have a multimeter and I have identified the hot black wire and I have connected the blue wire from the fan switch to it as instructed by the manual. The black wire is going to black neutral, and green is screwed into the back of the box. Attached is a picture of what I have. It's kind of hard to see, but the hot black wire goes into the wires near the orange marette, and the other goes into the wall.
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to install Leviton In-Wall LCD timer switch-img00053.jpg   Trying to install Leviton In-Wall LCD timer switch-img00054.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kripes View Post
Okay I have a multimeter and I have identified the hot black wire and I have connected the blue wire from the fan switch to it as instructed by the manual. The black wire is going to black neutral, and green is screwed into the back of the box. Attached is a picture of what I have. It's kind of hard to see, but the hot black wire goes into the wires near the orange marette, and the other goes into the wall.
thanks!
Look at the diagram a few post down Blue goes to the load not the hot -Black goes to the hot ground to ground and if you have a white that goes to neutral IT MIGHT BE TIME TO CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!!! Originally Posted by 300zx

Last edited by 300zx; 11-04-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
Git

The picture is helpfull, but I still can't see how many wires we are dealing with. It looks like you have at least four white (neutral wires) which would lead me to believe that you should have four black wires. BUT since you never actually took the time to list the wires coming into the box as I requested, I have no idea what you have there.

If you can't even list the wires out, maybe you shouldn't be trying to do this...

Tags
lcd, leviton, light, switch, timer