Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to figure out proper wiring for jacuzzi bathtub

We ripped out the old tub and have a jacuzzi tub we want to put in. I gather we need a dedicated wire coming straight from the breaker box. Box is 200. There are 2 empty slots for 2 more breakers. The outlet close to the tub is a standard 15V which I know will not work, the only outlet that works in the bathroom is the GFI near the sink. The pump is 115 volts 10.5 amps andthe hydromassage heater is 1500 watts 120 VAC 12.5 amps. Each have their own plugin cord.

So, my question is do we need a GFI breaker if installing a GFI outlet just for operating the tub?

What size breaker? (I am guessing at least 30 amp since thee total amps is 23)

What kind of wire? (220?)

What kind of outlet, how many volts?

Does the breaker have to be single or double pole?

Last edited by jdoxakis; 03-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.
jdoxakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,432

I believe your instructions will call for two 15 or 20 amp 120 volt dedicated circuits with GFI protection. Your GFI protection could be a breaker or a faceless GFI device. Do not locate the GFI under the tub skirt.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I believe your instructions will call for two 15 or 20 amp 120 volt dedicated circuits with GFI protection. Your GFI protection could be a breaker or a faceless GFI device. Do not locate the GFI under the tub skirt.
Sso we only need a 120 wire not a 220? I am a little confused about the facelss GFI, how does that work? There iss an outlet near where the old tub was under the access panel except it isnt GFI, its located maybe 12 in from the water supply. Can we do anything with that particular outlet without having to run a dedicated wire directly from the breaker box?

Last edited by jdoxakis; 03-25-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

A faceless GFI provides the protection but allows the reset buttons to be accessible. A regular receptacle is then installed under the skirt.

The circuits need to be dedicated to the tub. You cannot share nearby circuits.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #5

the pump is 10.5 amps and the heater is 12.5 amps, total 23 amps. It seems that a 15amp outlet would be sufficient since each one is under 15 amps each. I was told to get a 20 amp breaker/outlet. I was also told a 12 g wire would work but a 10 g would be better. Do you pull more power if you use a 20 amp as opposed to the 15 amp? Is there a specification for whether the wire should be indoor or outdoor wire? (It will be run under the house up thru the floor to the box and then up the wall for where the outlet will be placed. Both cords look like regular plugs for a 15amp outlet
Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

If the area under the house was considered a damp area you would need something lile Type UF cable. If not a damp area you could use Type NM-B.
You will not pull more power using a 20 amp breaker over a 15 amp breaker. The equipment determines the load.

The 10 gauge wire is probably not needed with those loads, #12 should be fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

I have to be honest. From the look of your posts here it would REALLY serve you best if you hired a pro to wire this.

I don't think I am alone in getting the feeling you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. Do you really think an electric bath tub is a place to learn as you go??
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
i have to be honest. From the look of your posts here it would really serve you best if you hired a pro to wire this.

I don't think i am alone in getting the feeling you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. Do you really think an electric bath tub is a place to learn as you go??

amen!!!!!!!!!!
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #9

I am going to have an electrician put it in, he is out of town right now and has no cell service. He is a family friend and said if we furnish what was needed he would install it no charge since he owes us money. Only problem was he didnt tell me what we needed and I was trying to figure out how much it would be just for the materials. The guy from home depot didnt even know what he was talking about because he said use a 14 wire. One thing I don't fool with is breaker box, I have gone only as far replacing a GFI in the kitchen.