Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trying to figure out how to light up shed

Have a 12x16 barn style shed with 8' walls so it's a pretty high ceiling. I am in the process of putting up a loft on one side and might on both sides which. My original plan was to put a couple long fluorescent tubes going across the top center of the shed. Now I realize the loft is going to block a lot of the light and makes the sides of the shed dark. What's the best option for me? Should I keep the idea of going all the way across the top center with tubes and put a 48" tube under the loft(maybe on both sides)? The lost Is supported by 2x6 boards and the bottoms of the boards are 8' high so theirs plenty of clearance.

What would you do?

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Depends on what you plan to do in there both on the main floor and in the lofts.
For example, if you were just going to store infrequently used items above, a single incandescent lamp on each side might be sufficient.
If you plan to use it as a workshop then specific task lighting might be needed for individual tools.
Give some more info about what you'll do in there and get better advice.

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

The loft will be for bulky things that I want to keep out of the way but easy to get to if I need them. I plan on building a work bench under the loft but do not plan on doing much in there at night. I want it well lit though in case I do find myself out there when it's dark or if I need something in the middle of the night.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

If it were mine, I would put a pair of 48" work lights at the ridge spaced on thirds to cover the loft areas. Make sure you get ones that have grills on them so you don't whack the tubes putting stuff up there.

On the main floor I would install a similar pair under each side of the loft. I would match the spacing on the long dimension with the top set. On the side with the workbench, I would hang them just inside the edge if the bench so my head would not cast a shadow on my work and on the other side I would center them in the space.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
STAFF

Rewards Points: 22

If you put the 48 inch tubs out there you might want to put a guard on it to keep the tubes from jarring loose or being hit with something, I personally would go with a regular bulb.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Here is a picture of my ceiling with no loft. Also those 2 2x6's are not laying across the beams anymore. Are you saying you would put 2 48" light on both sides so 4 total, and then 2 over the work bench making 6 total tubes? I have not decided if I'm putting a loft on the other side yet but if I do I'll put mor lights under it also but centered like you said since there's no work bench. The pictures shows where the loft is going to be and it's going to come out to that 2nd cross beam.

Trying to figure out how to light up shed-image-538384392.jpg
Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #7

For some reason I had it in my head that you were going to loft along the long dimensions. (don't ask. It was nothing in your post)
If you are lofting across the back, I'll modify my suggestion to keep the 2 at the top. Still spaced along the ridge at thirds and a single additional unit under the loft near the edge of any proposed work top.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr
For some reason I had it in my head that you were going to loft along the long dimensions. (don't ask. It was nothing in your post)
If you are lofting across the back, I'll modify my suggestion to keep the 2 at the top. Still spaced along the ridge at thirds and a single additional unit under the loft near the edge of any proposed work top.
You are throwing me off when you say spaced at thirds.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

Sorry. For a 16 foot Long bldg. I mean 5 foot 4 from each end
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #10

Is a bad thing to put fluroesent lights on the same circuit as a regular bulb? I was thinking about 2 48" tubes lined up and then just putting a regular bulb over the loft, maybe one on either side so they will be out of the way. I guess I could put the regular bulb on a pull chain type socket to just turn it on when needed if I have to.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

I would personally wire (3) double 4' fixtures across the ridge which only leaves 1' spacing between them wired to one switch, then a single 2-4' fixture over your workbench(s) on another switch. You sound a little concerned with having enough lighting and I think you will be happier with double bulbs on such high ceilings. The flourescent fixtures won't use alot of electricity so I think a little overkill would be better than not enough.
mbobbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #12

That sounds good too. I'm mainly concerned about the loft space taking away half of the lighting. I also do not want the loft to be pitch black if I ever need something up there at night. I like your idea but might put 2 doubles across the middle and then 1 double over the loft but crosswise on that side wall. To many possibilities! Lol.