Trying To Add An Additional Outlet To Lightswitch/Outet Combo - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to add an additional outlet to Lightswitch/Outet combo

Hey guys,

Thx in advance for any help. I need to save money by switching to FIOS from Time warner cable. Fios needs an outlet to plug their ONT into. This box is huge so I am trying to hide it in a hallway closet. The other side of one of the walls insde the closet has an Outlet/ Lightswitch combo receptacle.

I am looking to make a hole on the inside of this closet wall to access and use the wires running to the outlet/lightswitch combo on the other side. I would like to keep the como in place. Below is my remedial diagram on the wires currently going into that box and feeding the receptacle.

This shouldn't be to hard right? What are your guys suggestions?

Thx Brian

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4x...nJKQS05NHlqZEU
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to add an additional outlet to Lightswitch/Outet combo-outlet-switch.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by mcbain1999; 11-12-2012 at 10:45 PM.
mcbain1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 830

I would propose running a dedicated circuit, double duplex, the first receptacle a surge receptacle.On a AFCI breaker. Good solid grounding.

Advertisement

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,574

Your new cable will connect into the two wire nuts with the black and white wires. The red wire is the switched wire.
Someone didn't know how those devices work when they hooked it up. There was no need to cut the tab, but it's working so leave it. If this is in a bathroom you can't by code tap that circuit. It is for the bathroom only.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Thx for the reply. Yeah by some of the other work done in this apartment I think you may be onto something about this setup. Not that I am all to knowledgable but I'd rather ask more experieced guys like yourselves before winging it.
With the tab being broken off; should I just replaces that outlet also or no real need.
Also not for the bathroom; it's just a hallway that has 2 closests. This switch sits between them
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Bob's suggestion is a good one.

If not possible, tapping off existing box will work too provided load on circuit will not be exceeded. Match gauge of cable wire. If on a 20 amp circuit use 12 gauge wire. If on a 15 amp circuit use 14 gauge.

Use proper cable connector and cable type for your code. May be difficult to punch out a hole in a metal box that pre-exists with sheetrock around it. And box must be deep or wide enough for new wire connector and wire.

From your diagram best to take from under 2 twist caps (wire nuts). When you merge your new wire under each twisted group, you likely will need next larger size cap to re-twist. Ground wire to ground wire in outlet box.

On ONT side in closet Verizon will want a grounded outlet somewhat near plywood they will likely hang. They will also want your telephone network from your Time Warner installation as well as your CAT5/6 TW TV and computer drops. If you don't have these neatly ready in or near the closet, the install could get messy.

Last edited by diyorpay; 11-13-2012 at 12:08 AM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #6

Yeah bob's idea does sound like the best option unfortunately it's not to feasable for me.

So it looks like I will need to access the existing box by punching a hole in the bottom of it and opening enough of the wall on the inside closet side and running the wires to the new outlet below the existing box but on the other side of the wall.

As for the ONT placement; the existing Time warner cable comes trough the ceiling and passes by the closet. It runs to the TV along the crevasses on the ceiling and base moulding. I dont think I will have much choice other than them running the coaxial/Cat5 cable in the same place as the time warner cable. I don't currently use the phone line in the apt

Last edited by mcbain1999; 11-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,574

If you cut a hole the size for a new receptacle box you should be able to work through that hole to get the cable where it needs to be. Since the wall is already finished there is no requirement to staple the cable. It needs to be fastened at the box however.

Advertisement