Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

trouble wiring up exhaust fan

I live in a house build in 1932, it has old wiring only 2 wires per cable. Iam trying to wire a bathroom light/exhaust fan. Ican get both light and fan working but can not control them with the wall switch. I wount to control both from a single switch. Can someone help?

urh9461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

was there a switch there before hand to control a light?

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

How did you you get them to work?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #4

Sure we can help you.
We need a lot more info before we can help you. Tell us about how you are trying to wire this. What was there before? What did you add/change?
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #5

OK thanks. I Have a light on the back porch that supply's power to a light over the sink in the bathroom. From the bathroom light it runs to a light switch on the wall to control only the bathroom light. I though I could cut the supply loose from the old light over the sink to power my exhaust fan / light, then run it to the light switch. The exhaust fan has a black and white wire and the light has a blue and white wire. Now I have the two wires that powered my old light and two wires from the switch. I hook up all white wires together and then hook the black and blue wires together. Turned the breaker on and both fan and light worked but not from the switch. Your toughts please
Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I am kinda suprised that you did not trip the breaker yet.

Now if this house still on oringal T&K format you have to get rid of it anyway.,

If more modern wiring set up., it can be doable but in bathroom there is a fine line there so let get up to the speed in leigt way.

First thing you need to indentify which pair of conductors is nonswitched source once you indenfy it then set that aside for a moment then find a other pair of conductor that go to the switch what you are doing there is what we called " switch loop " that will get little tricky if not carefull on this matter.

on the switch loop grab the white conductor and remarked it with black marker or bleu marker or use black electrical tape and make a band so that will become hot feed to the switch the black and white switch loop that you will need both wire for switch to function.

Now let get busy with the fan/light unit this part I really suggest becarefull this part due most exhaust fan and light combos useally don't have much room to work around for connections unless you have access above in attic which that will be much easier to do that route.

Now here what to do this set up take the unswitched conductors and install inside the fan/light unit and grab the white wires from fan/light units and hook up them quick but hold off the black one for a min until you get other pair of conductors or cable in that one is switch loop now this get little interwined but follow the instruction very carefully it will work fine here., take the remarked white conductor and hook up with black nonswitched conductor and wirenutted that one now take that black conductor from switch loop hook up the black fan and bleu light conductor that it and you are good to go.

Keep in your mind this set up when you turn on the fan / light switch both fan and light will come on the same time if you want to seperated it you will need to change the switch loop format that will end up takeing out the old cable out and put in correct cable in there.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. My bathroom fan/exhaust works fine now. But what does t&k stand for.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #8

I think he meant K&T - Knob and Tube.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote