Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

trouble snaking wire down a floor

so I'm trying to snake a wire down a floor and I cut the whole next to an existing power outlet to try and just make it a joint one. It's wood paneling so I can't cut bigger and just patch. I went from an access point below and looked up once I cut and I can't see the light I had hanging in the hole, couldn't see it. I'm wondering if it's standard to have a horizontal piece of wood that would make it harder for me?

any tips for trying to follow the power line down? I know it's bad to run it next to the power line, but I figure if it gets me down it's worth it. That, and I can't see the power line yet, but I'm getting a bigger mirror tomorrow to try and and help me find it from below.

thanks for the help/advice.

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

You can drill a small hole right in front of the baseboard and stick a piece of coat hanger into the basement to help you locate the hole.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Quite few older homes will have some fourm of firestop I know this is genrally true with ballon frame homes but other frame type home yeah you will find it genrally about half way up the wall { anywhere from 3 to 6 feet from RFL { rough floor level } } sometime you may snag a double which I allready did ran into before.

You will have to buy a Disvia flexiable drill bit they will come in couple diffrent lengths so it will really help ya to bore thru the horzontal board.

Just make sure you don't hit plumming pipes some case you will find them in there.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote