DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Trouble mounting new vanity light

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  220/221 
#1 ·
I'm trying to install a new vanity light. When I removed the old light bar I found that there wasn't a box behind it. It was attached directly to the drywall.

The vent pipe for the sink runs straight up behind where I need to install the box. At the shallowest, I have 1.25 inches of space between the drywall and the pipe.

I attached a picture of the problem.

The shallow boxes I've found only attach to studs, and my closest stud is 11 inches away. The closer one is on the far side of the vent pipe.

I haven't been able to find any boxes with flanges that attach directly to drywall.

Does anyone know where I can find a shallow box that attaches directly to drywall? Any other ideas (other than installing sconces)?

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It all depends on the type of fixture. Post a pic.

If it's a bath bar type, you can install the box to the side and drill a 1/2 hole in the fixture, install a protective plastic bushing and feed the wires thru.

You can also slip a 1x4 in thru the hole, attach it with dwall screws thru the dwall then mount a pancake box to it.

Do you need to mount a box for the light?
Most fixtures will require a box. There are some that I would consider safe to use without a box...... like a bath bar with completely enclosed back piece (no huge holes in it)

#5 ·
Slip a 1x4 (as long as as possible...10-12 inches) in thru the hole. You will have to cut the opening a bit. Use 2 pieces if necessary.

Secure the 1x4 with a bunch of dwall screws, staggered and spaced 3 to 4 inches apart, thru the dwall, into the 1x4. Sink the heads flush and patch over them if visible.

Mount a pancake box (4" round, 1/2 inch deep) to the 1x4 GENTLY with dwall screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.