Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Trouble hanging Hunter ceiling fan

First the holes in the canopy didnt line up with bracket thats another story. What i need to know is coming from ceiling is a red, a white and looks to be 3 black wires. Now coming from bracket is a green, and coming from fan is a green, black ,white and a black and white. the way I conected it is the black and black and white to the 3 black, the white to white and green to green and capped off the red. That being said the fan and light only runs off the pull chains and the switch does nothing. What happened? My thought I have to tie in the red to all those black to get a power source from the switch? That is alot under one cap 3 black + 1 black and a black and white AND a red? 6 under one cap? Seems to be to many wires running through. YOUR THOUGHTS...... By the way it is model 181903 Hunter / Ridgefield "The Five minute fan"_______________insert laugh here!

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Need a picture to get a better understanding. Also, was there an existing fan or light fixture up there before you started to hook up the fan? You will need to go over to the switch plate for the fan, and find out which color is hooked up to the light switch/dimmer, and which to the fan switch.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Is this an old house with out a ground wire. You didn't mention a ground wire in the box.

Sounds like the red wire is the switched power. Do you have a meter or test light to check the red wire for power when you flip the switch.

If the red wire is the switch power you can hook the black/white striped wire to the red wire to have a switched light.

You will have to operate the fan by the pull chain. Leave the solid black wire from the fan hooked up the way it is.

If the red wire is energized all the time dis-reguard this post.

I also suggest you bond the metal box with a green or bare pittail to to connect your green wires to, and prey that the bonding through the old BX is good.

Bob

Last edited by Hourglass52; 01-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Hourglass52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,004

First things first, why go any further if the canopy don't line up with the ceiling bracket, STOP here before you waste all that time on the wiring.

Figure it out then the wiring is second, why do the wiring when you can't hang it??
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

fan is hung but like i said switch doesnt work with fan/ light only when pull cords are used the light and fan will come on switch does nothing. Ok after pulling wall plate there IS a red wire going to the switch and there is NO power to the red wire when power is shut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble hanging Hunter ceiling fan-phone-pix-3-046.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

I hope I hear clapping in the background for my FIRST PIX attachment took me a minute or two but this will be helpful for me and other members with any/all problem solving.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Wire the black to the three blacks.
This allows the fan to operate only with the pull chain.
Connect the whites together.
Connect the grounds.
Connect the red wire to the black/white wire to control the light with the switch.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #8

Thanks for everyones help and ill let you know when its complete and or if I run into any more trouble.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Wire the black to the three blacks.
This allows the fan to operate only with the pull chain.
Connect the whites together.
Connect the grounds.
Connect the red wire to the black/white wire to control the light with the switch.
Just for confirmation, I just completed the same project with a hunter fan. I have it set up the same way, Red Wire from the switch controls the light for when you walk into the room, and the fan is on the pull chain.

Just for reminders sake, double check the box and make sure its nice and sturdy. I ended up replacing mine with with a new one and added a larger medallion. Don't be like me and have to take it down a few extra times, lol.
SeanRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

I bought the Hunter Ridgefield 5-minute ceiling fan from Lowes. I agree - it was a nightmare to hang. After installation, it worked fine (4-year-old house) for a few months & still works fine, but has a strong electrical smell after the light has been on for a few minutes. It seems to be installed correctly, but the lower housing (between the light fixtures) seems to be extremely warm when turned on. Any suggestions?
dobmjbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,004

Little piece of insulation missing or wrong size bulbs.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
zpm
yeah, right

Rewards Points: 75

The new Hunter fans are awful. I installed several of them last year and won't be buying any more. The ball brackets on the newest fans aren't as good as they used to be - smaller and flimsier. Yes, they are 5 minute fans. 5 minutes to open and unpack the box, 5 minutes to decipher the lousy instructions, 5 minutes for this, 5 minutes for that, etc.

The fans now have some sort of a soft start energy saving light delay. Its a little box in the canopy that doesn't turn the lights on for 1/4 second or so. I'm a couple of steps into the room in a 1/4 second and still in the dark. That really bugged me, and I considered it a safety issue, so I took another 5 minutes to chop the box out and rewire it. I've never had any smell complaints, so check that little box if you have one. It has a circuit board which may be having a problem.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobmjbm View Post
I bought the Hunter Ridgefield 5-minute ceiling fan from Lowes. I agree - it was a nightmare to hang. After installation, it worked fine (4-year-old house) for a few months & still works fine, but has a strong electrical smell after the light has been on for a few minutes. It seems to be installed correctly, but the lower housing (between the light fixtures) seems to be extremely warm when turned on. Any suggestions?
Our electrician checked the fan & our wiring & said it all looked ok, but agreed that the light housing should not be so hot. We talked to the lighting clerks at Lowes, who suggested we return the fan for a new one. We did that & got the same model. We installed it, but haven't used it much, since it is located in our guest room. This weekend, (several months later) there was a pop & flash from the light. All the lights on the fan went out. The bulbs, globes, & lower housing were extremely hot. No circuit was thrown & everything else in the room worked. The lights would not come back on. The next day 2 of the 3 bulbs lit. Now I'm scared to even use the light. We are using the bulbs that came with the fan, so they should be the correct ones. I don't know what to do next. Any other suggestions?

dobmjbm is offline   Reply With Quote