Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

Trouble with a double switch

Hello everyone.... i'm helping a friend wire an old kitchen. The trouble I'm having is with a double switch. There are two sources of power coming into the box, with one switch turning on the garbage disposal. The old switch (which was taken out by her) has four screws on one side, and three on the other. Also looks like the tab has been broken off. Again there are three (14/2) cables coming in, two have power (on their own circuits) and one goes out to the garbage disposal. Could someone help me with this.... i'm wondering if maybe i shouldn't disconnect one of the powered cables.

Mick

mickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #2

That seems like a lot of screws for a double switch unless the old one was a double 3-way. You don't have enough wires to require a double 3-way so you should be able to use a double Single pole switch which should have 2 screws on one side and 2 on the other plus a green ground screw. By breaking the tab you are just creating 2 separate switches. You will need to find out which one with power is for the GD. That set you should connect the black power to one side of the switch and the GD black to the other and wire nut the 2 white wires.

With only 3 14/2 coming into the box I would guess the third set is a power and return to a light. Which would mean that the black would be on one side of the second switch and the white on the other.

If you touch the black and white of the hot wires together the supply power for the GD should trip a breaker and the hot return for the light should light the light. Use caution if you do this.

Last edited by hayewe farm; 05-14-2009 at 11:34 PM.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #3

Don't know what all the screws are for but it should connect like this.
Take the white from one circuit and connect tothe white for garbage disposal. then the the two black from the same cables and connect to one the terminals for one switch.
The other circuit is probably a switch loop. Connect the black and white from the last cable to the two terminals for the other switch.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #4

You say there's a double switch, and one side controlds the GD...what does the other switch control? i have seen/heard of a switch with 7 screws on it like you describe...are two switches in one device? Maybe post a pic?
Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Maybe the other half controlled the light over the sink>?
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #6

Yeah, that sounds right I guess. I've never seen a switch loop in a box that's already powered but I guess it could happen.
Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice, i'll post a picture tomorrow... I'm looking at the double switch and yes it does have 4 screws on one side, and three on the other.

mickster

mickster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double switch