Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Flintstone, GA 30725 Zone 7
Posts: 70
Share |
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


I have my pool wired with #12 wire and 20 amp GFCI breaker. When I turn on the GFCI breaker sometimes it will trip. Most of the times it will work properly. The pool is straight wired so the motor will come on immediately. The pump motor is 220 and rated 5.9 amps. It is a VS magnetic motor.

Sometimes when I turn it on and it immediately trips, I can cut the breaker off and right back on and it works fine.

Is the breaker probably bad. I have bought a new one but would like to know before I replace it.

Thanks


Last edited by TGMcCallie; 06-30-2013 at 07:59 AM.
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 266
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Electricity, combined with water, protected by a GFCI that is tripping from time to time.

There is the poster child of why GFCI's were invented and why they've saved so many lives.

Always trust safety devices (your GFCI in this case) to be indicating that something is wrong that needs to be investigated and repaired before someone is hurt or worse.

You need to have the entire pool circuit checked for the reason the breaker is sensing a potential deadly condition.

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,756
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


A 240 volt motor requires a 2 pole 240 volt GFCI breaker.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Flintstone, GA 30725 Zone 7
Posts: 70
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Problem solved.

The GFCI breaker was weak. I replaced it with a new one and everything works correctly as should.
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 126
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie
Problem solved.

The GFCI breaker was weak. I replaced it with a new one and everything works correctly as should.
TGM- I hope you did solve your prob but like many I ask you to have someone to come in and check it out. It's worth the service call bro! Be safe and enjoy your pool!
JohnC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Flintstone, GA 30725 Zone 7
Posts: 70
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC20 View Post
TGM- I hope you did solve your prob but like many I ask you to have someone to come in and check it out. It's worth the service call bro! Be safe and enjoy your pool!
*****

I did seek professional help. My neighbor owns his own electrical company which is older than I am (I am 76). He did not look at it but said it sounded like the gfci was bad due to excessive tripping and age.
He said to purchase another breaker and install it. If it then does not
work properly he would come and check it out for me.

I did as he advised and it has not tripped the gfci in 4 days so I figure he
was correct in what he advised me to do.

Thanks for everyone's advise.
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 164
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
I have my pool wired with #12 wire and 20 amp GFCI breaker. When I turn on the GFCI breaker sometimes it will trip. Most of the times it will work properly. The pool is straight wired so the motor will come on immediately. The pump motor is 220 and rated 5.9 amps. It is a VS magnetic motor.

Sometimes when I turn it on and it immediately trips, I can cut the breaker off and right back on and it works fine.

Is the breaker probably bad. I have bought a new one but would like to know before I replace it.

Thanks
Do not use the breaker as a switch to turn the motor on and off it will greatly extend the life of the breaker.
__________________
RIP EJT
usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 126
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie

*****

I did seek professional help. My neighbor owns his own electrical company which is older than I am (I am 76). He did not look at it but said it sounded like the gfci was bad due to excessive tripping and age.
He said to purchase another breaker and install it. If it then does not
work properly he would come and check it out for me.

I did as he advised and it has not tripped the gfci in 4 days so I figure he
was correct in what he advised me to do.

Thanks for everyone's advise.
Ok! Just looking out for ya!
JohnC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 3,407
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by usair View Post
Do not use the breaker as a switch to turn the motor on and off it will greatly extend the life of the breaker.
i was thinking that. while it can work as a switch. its not a switch.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Flintstone, GA 30725 Zone 7
Posts: 70
Default

Tripping GFCI Beaker


I guess that was what weakened he GFi breaker. I would rather cut if off sometimes from the garage rather than at the pump especially when it was raining. I will no longer do that. I will instead just let the digital timer cut it on and off.

Thanks

TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freezer tripping GFCI davidclements Appliances 41 06-05-2014 12:41 PM
Trouble with GFCI tripping - first time electrical ryan112ryan Electrical 8 07-05-2012 08:16 AM
Garage GFCI keeps tripping faromic Electrical 7 08-30-2011 10:45 PM
Pond pumps tripping GFCI lendosky Electrical 23 12-23-2010 03:22 PM
Random GFCI tripping, Data Rack theatretch85 Electrical 5 07-10-2009 08:20 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.