Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tripping breaker

Better with plumbing so any help is appreciated.
In the playroom there are 3 ceiling fans and a couple of duplex outlets on a 20 amp breaker.
Never had aproblem but now the breaker is tripping.
I thought maybe bad breaker but replacement trips as well.

I don't know if this helps but the breaker does not trip instantly but
it seems to buzz for about a second orTtwo and than trips with a visible spark at the breaker.

So where do I start? Fans or outlets? Loose wires?

Thanks

Last edited by drjay9051; 09-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 28

Tripping breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
Better with plumbing so any help is appreciated.vv
In the playro there are 3 ceiling fans and a couple of duplex outlets on a 2e0 amp breaker. N
Never had aproblem but now the breaker is tripping.
I thought maybe bad breaker but replacement trips as well.

I don't know if this helps but the breaker does not trip instantly but ra
ther it seems to buzz for about a second orTtwo and than trips with a visible spark at the breaker.

So where do I start? Fans or outlets? Loose wires?

Thanks
More info required... does it trip with the fans on or off, all three, or just a single fan? is there an appliance plugged into the receptacles? does the breaker trip every time you reset it?
You need to do some of your own trouble shooting first. Explore the variables that you can control, then let us know.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Tripping breaker

Stickboy 1375 said "More info required... does it trip with the fans on or off, all three, or just a single fan? is there an appliance plugged into the receptacles? does the breaker trip every time you reset it?
You need to do some of your own trouble shooting first. Explore the variables that you can control, then let us know."

I don't have much more info.

Fans/ceiling lights are controlled via pull chains so i have no clue if any are on or off. If there was a wall switch i would have checked if breaker tripped with switch on or off as starting point.

No appliances or any other items such as lamps plugged into duplex outlets.

i suppose i could take down all the fans and start from the beginning but i was wondering if one scenario is more likely than another.

Since breaker keeps tripping any hints on how to check each fan and duplex via meter would be helpful.

I did look in a couple of basic references like Home Depot Homeowner's repair book but no answers to be found.

Sorry, all i have is a tripping breaker, breaker not the problem and looking for info on how to troubleshoot.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Tripping breaker

Quote:
Stickboy 1375 said "More info required... does it trip with the fans on or off, all three, or just a single fan? is there an appliance plugged into the receptacles? does the breaker trip every time you reset it?
You need to do some of your own trouble shooting first. Explore the variables that you can control, then let us know."

I don't have much more info.

Fans/ceiling lights are controlled via pull chains so i have no clue if any are on or off. If there was a wall switch i would have checked if breaker tripped with switch on or off as starting point.

No appliances or any other items such as lamps plugged into duplex outlets.

i suppose i could take down all the fans and start from the beginning but i was wondering if one scenario is more likely than another.

Since breaker keeps tripping any hints on how to check each fan and duplex via meter would be helpful.

I did look in a couple of basic references like Home Depot Homeowner's repair book but no answers to be found.

Sorry, all i have is a tripping breaker, breaker not the problem and looking for info on how to troubleshoot.

Thanks
You have a short somewhere... start dissecting the circuit until you find it... I would start with disconnecting the ceiling fans first....
Old 09-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Tripping breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
You have a short somewhere... start dissecting the circuit until you find it... I would start with disconnecting the ceiling fans first....
That was my thought. Would short be visible i.e. loose wire or do i need to use a multimeter? If meter how?

Sorry, i know squat about electric hence the post. I can however sweat fittings, run sprinkler pipe and cook mac and cheese so all is not lost !!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Tripping breaker

Quote:
That was my thought. Would short be visible i.e. loose wire or do i need to use a multimeter? If meter how?

Sorry, i know squat about electric hence the post. I can however sweat fittings, run sprinkler pipe and cook mac and cheese so all is not lost !!
lol... the best way to fix this is to basically trace the entire circuit out until you find the resulting conflict... this could be anywhere... best to start at the first device of the circuit and keep breaking splices until the short goes away, then you can find the culprit...

The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
drjay9051 (09-08-2012)