Tripping A 20A Circuit? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tripping a 20A Circuit?

Hello,

I'm finishing my basement, and have a few circuits wired in. I have a 20A circuit feeding the bedroom (overkill maybe). I used 12-2 wire and 20A recepticles, of which there are 5 total. It will also power the light/fan in the room, but that is not hooked up yet.

I decided to use this new circuit to power my miter saw, where previously I had to run an extension cord down from an upstairs 15A outlet.

I was surprised to find that I was tripping the breaker with JUST the saw drawing power on the circuit. It wouldn't happen all the time. In fact, it would really only happen when I would just touch the trigger and let go right away because I needed to adjust the material. It's a pretty big saw, but when I ran it on the 15A circuit from the extension cord, I never had this problem.

The only thing that I can think of is that I had to use an arc fault breaker on the 20A circuit whereas the existing 15A circuit is on a standard breaker.

So... long winded explanation for: "Did I wire something up wrong?"

Thanks in advance!

-Robb

Advertisement

RobbL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tripping a 20A Circuit?

Is the breaker tripping...or is this an AFCI & you have to reset the AFCI ?

2 different things
Some tools an AFCI breaker will detect an arc fault when they are used & the AFCI kicks off

hmmmmm...just realized that the breakers are not like a GFCI outlet...no reset

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tripping a 20A Circuit?

Yeah, it's a 20A AFCI. The only other thing I know about it is that it cost about 3 times as much as the other ones!

When it "trips" it's appears the same way as when one of the standard one trips. The switch is seated in the center position, and I need to rock it back and then to on again.

So, are you saying that it's possible that the sudden draw of power from the saw can "fool" the AFCI into thinking there's an arc?

Sorry - if you haven't noticed, I'm certainly no professional. I know just enough to wire up my simple basement and (hopefully) pass inspection.
RobbL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tripping a 20A Circuit?

Somehow I thought that AFCI & GFCI breakers have a reset button like a GFCI Outlet

I had not looked at my breakers in a while...but they don't have the reset button

But Yes the AFCI's will still "nuisance" trip when they detect some power tools starting up
They think the tool is an arc fault & it trips
This I realize is a problem....I actually just started another thread for input on this issue
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
RobbL (03-07-2010)