Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Tripped Circuit

Hi all. I have a tripped circuit on my electrical panel. It's just stuck in the off position and when I try to push it back over to on, it doesn't stay. It just goes back to off. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Jesse

jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

Tripped Circuit

Many breakers need to be turned fully off and then on.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Tripped Circuit

What does that circuit control?
If shutting it all the way off and back on does not work you may have a dead short.
DO not keep trying it, find what what shorted.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Tripped Circuit

Bad breaker would be my first guess. Pull the breaker out of the panel, with the wire disconnected from it, and see if you can cycle it from off to on. If it doesn't, then it is shot and you need to replace the breaker.

Nothing more simple. If it is a dead short, it would allow you to cycle the breaker, but as soon as you go to on position, it would go back off, or throw sparks when you attempt to go to on.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Tripped Circuit

This may sound silly, but are you sure you turned it all the way off? Some breakers have to be pushed firmly in the other direction (called "extreme off") before they will reset. What brand of breakers are these?

Otherwise you have a dead short somewhere that needs to be replaced, or a faulty breaker.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

Tripped Circuit

Thanks for the replies guys, but it looks like the wiring for that entire circuit is bad. My electrician is going to rebuild it next week. Ugh...

Jesse
Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Tripped Circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, but it looks like the wiring for that entire circuit is bad. My electrician is going to rebuild it next week. Ugh...

Jesse
What do you mean by the wiring on the circuit is bad? Did you have a really bad short, that it burnt up the wiring, or critters in the house, that chewed apart the line in various places?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Tripped Circuit

No the majority of the circuit is constructed from knob and tube because my house is so old. Some of the insulation has worn off the wiring and it's kind of a mish mash of knob and tube and romex. That's all.

Jesse

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpearson311 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-15-2013), Kyle_in_rure (08-15-2013)