Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Triplex Outlets

I need to replace a couple outlets that are wearing out, plus adding some new ones. I have a number of triplex outlets that have 1 plug switched. I really like that setup.

I found these triplex outlets:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10026

But I can't tell if I can switch just one plug or not. It kind of looks like the entire outlet is going to always to hot or always be switched.

Are there any other triplex outlets on the market. The ones I currently have are ungrounded. I do like the leviton I showed the link to above, but I am concerned about the switching, and the cost. They are about $11 each, I have over 70 outlets in my home, not going to replace them all right now, but would like to eventually make them all match. I just need to replace a couple right away that don't grip plugs anymore.

Thanks
Jamie
p.s. I think today is going to my wiring day time to get out my fiber fish tape, I got a couple fun ones to do...

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
the Musigician

Triplex Outlets

i believe you are correct on the switching, on/off only. however, those are 20 amp outlets shown in that link, not standard 15a 'normal' and would have to be wired accordingly. also, they would not be allowed per code in kitchen or bath or wet areas, of course.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Electrician

Triplex Outlets

There is no way to switch one of those plugs, there is only one hot and one neutral connection on them.

You mentioned that your plugs are now ungrounded, chances are if you put these plugs in, it will be a code violation. The only way to put a grounded plug in and be code compliant is with a GFI.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
the Musigician

Triplex Outlets

i believe he means the outlet has a switch somewhere to power it? however, if no ground is present ANYwhere in the home, (does this mean all of your outlets are the old two-plug type?) the only way is GFIC outlets as Darren said or keep the two prongers.

DM
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
DIY'er

Triplex Outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i believe you are correct on the switching, on/off only. however, those are 20 amp outlets shown in that link, not standard 15a 'normal' and would have to be wired accordingly. also, they would not be allowed per code in kitchen or bath or wet areas, of course.

DM
I am planing to install GFCI breakers for my wet locations, so I can use standard outlets everywhere.

The 15A look to be to the same wire hook-up to me as well with these triplex outlets. So I think I am out of luck in terms of having them switched.

I of course would only put the 20A outlets on 12gage and the 15A on 14 gage.

I just picked up a Pass and Seymour Premium duplex outlet, they look nice http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0091947.html I might end up using these.

Jamie
p.s. all my boxes are grounded.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
DIY'er

Triplex Outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i believe he means the outlet has a switch somewhere to power it? however, if no ground is present ANYwhere in the home, (does this mean all of your outlets are the old two-plug type?) the only way is GFIC outlets as Darren said or keep the two prongers.

DM
The plugs are ungrounded (2 prong), every single box is properly grounded. The ground wire is bonded to the box.

Jamie
Old 10-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Triplex Outlets

since the boxes are grounded, then they must be metal. You either need to use self grounding devices or you must pigtail to the devices.

The levitons are listed as self grounding. Don't know about the others you mentioned.

are the boxes single gang boxes or 4" sq. with the appropriate plaster ring?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Triplex Outlets

If your boxes are grounded, then those triplex devices should work fine. The manufacturer's instructions state that these use a multi-function self-grounding clip that provide an automatic ground connection in a properly grounded metal wall box.

You will have to utilize external GFCI protection on replacement outlets serving kitchen counters, located in bathrooms, garages, or outside.

As others have stated, these can not be split-wired, so if you want to control one with a wall switch, the entire device will have to be switched.

On a side note, when using one of these you will not have to deal with the issue of ground up or ground down
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
the Musigician

Triplex Outlets

would a single outlet/switch combo help?

DM
Old 10-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Electrician

Triplex Outlets

I looked at http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0091947.html and for some reason there picture has the plug upside down .

Sorry couldn't resist the urge to start the argument again, but i am pleading you not to start that argument i have seen to much of it on here.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
the Musigician

Triplex Outlets

naaahhh, someone just loaded the graphic upside down..... or DID they?.... heh heh heh

DM
Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Triplex Outlets

there is no requirement in any code I have dealt with that required up or down but if you notice, all the writing on the recep is right side up when the ground is up.

we typically are ground down in this area although I am on a hospital build with some pre-built headwall units where the grounds are up.

Quote:
kbsparky: On a side note, when using one of these you will not have to deal with the issue of ground up or ground down
but what about ground left or right on the horizontal recep?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
DIY'r

Triplex Outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
I looked at http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0091947.html and for some reason there picture has the plug upside down .
Leviton and HD also...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...Sckj4qg4j9sbDw..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+502102
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Triplex Outlets

Quick! Somebody lock this thread. It's snowballing.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
DIY'er

Triplex Outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
since the boxes are grounded, then they must be metal. You either need to use self grounding devices or you must pigtail to the devices.

The levitons are listed as self grounding. Don't know about the others you mentioned.

are the boxes single gang boxes or 4" sq. with the appropriate plaster ring?
All single boxes, flush up to the wall.

How do I find out of a outlet is self grounding? I have a Pass & Seymour Legand Premium Sitting here I bought today. It says "Outlet; Decorator Grounding"

Jamie