Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Share |

Tricks for installing Airtight Baffle Trim

I am in the process of changing 33 recessed lighting baffle trims. I am switching to the airtight version to further insulate my home from drafts (as well as spiders). The recessed lighting units are made by Halo and are rated for insulation touching the box. I don't have access to the recessed lighting unit boxes to add insulation from above, so changing the baffles is the way I choose to go.

I have replaced seven of the units so far in a hallway and now I am experiencing difficulty in the next set in my kitchen. On the first set, I was able to position myself on a ladder where I was either under the units I was changing or slightly off center. The units in the kitchen are causing me to lean a bit further then before which is creating problems lining up and positioning the torsion springs on the airtight baffles. I am not leaning so far as to cause an unstable ladder position or unsafe position. I can reach the lights by standing on the first step of the ladder which further aids in being safe. I have built ins below the lights preventing me from getting the ladder directly under the lights.

Is there some trick to getting these torsion springs installed without the great deal of difficulty that I am experiencing? Is there a tool to assist installing the baffles? I have tried several different times and each time I quit in frustration when I fail. This one baffle trim has been hanging down now for several days and I am frustrated and tired of looking at it hanging there. There has to be a better way. Thank you in advance for any assist given.
tankthecrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Tank, Welcome to the Forum,

Click Here: To see if these would Help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick response to my problem. I will buy the pliers and give them a try. The ones with the 90 degree elbow on the shaft just might do the trick.

The one thing that bugs me with the design of the torsion springs is the 90 degree turn on the end of the spring legs. I believe I understand why the bend is in place - to keep the springs from pulling out of the holder. I experienced problems with the first bunch of baffles that I installed as well. When the springs are compressed, the end of the springs turn out enough making it difficult to catch the springs in the holder. I would think that the designers could anticipate that when the spring was originally designed that the bend in the spring points toward the can when tension is applied. Without tension the springs ends are parallel to the holder and not perpendicular the the holder which is the case now when tension is applied.

In my latest attempt I tried wrapping the springs with tape to keep them in tension while trying to install the baffle. My plan was to cut the tape when the springs were inside the holders allowing the tension to be released, but the bends in the springs make it difficult to get the springs in the holders because the springs rub up to the can.

Maybe when I get the pliers, I will try one spring end at a time and not two as I have been trying up to now. Anyway thanks for the great advise.
tankthecrank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airtight baffles, recessed light