Treadmill Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Treadmill problem

Good morning everyone!

I have purchased a ProForm treadmill from Academy and when I initially placed it, it was in a room with a 15amp circuit (Room with PC and TV). when we powered it on...it went fine until we got it up to speed (the treadmill has a 1.5chp motor) and the breaker would trip. So I then moved it to a circuit that was a 20amp. We got it up to speed and it did not trip the circuit, however, it tripped another circuit in my girls bedrooms. The circuit that it tripped was a 15amp AFCI circuit.

Ok, so on to my question...what kind of problem am I facing here?

Is it more likely that the treadmill has something wrong with it or do I have an electricity issue?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kevin

Advertisement

kevinhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 208

Treadmill problem

I'm not an electrician, but do have a treadmill (NordicTrak). I was advised that it is recommended to have it on a dedicated circuit. That is how I have it, and have had no issues in 10 years.
Good luck.

Advertisement

Last edited by orange; 08-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Treadmill problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhittle View Post
Good morning everyone!

I have purchased a ProForm treadmill from Academy and when I initially placed it, it was in a room with a 15amp circuit (Room with PC and TV). when we powered it on...it went fine until we got it up to speed (the treadmill has a 1.5chp motor) and the breaker would trip. So I then moved it to a circuit that was a 20amp. We got it up to speed and it did not trip the circuit, however, it tripped another circuit in my girls bedrooms. The circuit that it tripped was a 15amp AFCI circuit.

Ok, so on to my question...what kind of problem am I facing here?

Is it more likely that the treadmill has something wrong with it or do I have an electricity issue?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kevin
Whats the nameplate on the unit? And I highly doubt the appliance caused the tripping of a completely different circuit.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote