Treadmill On GFCI Outlet? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Treadmill on GFCI outlet?

Hi;
My treadmill is plugged into a GFCI receptacle in the basement, only because it was the most convenient that could take the load.
For the most part it has not been a problem, but today while trying to ramp up the speed quickly, the GFCI tripped.

Note that the TM is plugged first into a single outlet surge protector at the GFCI outlet.
My feeling is that the increase in speed caused a spike, which in turn tripped the GFCI.
It is probably best not to plug the TM into the GFCI in the first place, so I plan to change the receptacle, as there is nothing else wired to the outlet that I need to protect.

I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion before I assume that there isn't a problem with the TM and replace the receptacle with a standard one.

Thanks

FW

Advertisement

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try it without the surge protector and see if the gfci still trips.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,566

Most treadmills specifically state won't operate on GFCI.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Electrician

Paint your basement walls and call it finished then remove the GFI receptacle...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Paint your basement walls and call it finished then remove the GFI receptacle...
I assume this is a joke, but I don't get it.
In any case, the basement is definitely finished. It has panel walls and drop ceiling with recessed lighting.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Try it without the surge protector and see if the gfci still trips.
I thought of doing that, since the surge protector is likely to cause an imbalance between hot and neutral when it carries surge current.

I hesitate to remove the surge protector because we have had some trouble with the electronics in the TM before, and it's off warranty and expensive to have it repaired.

Perhaps I should just not try to run so fast <g>
I was ramping up to 10mph at the time it tripped out.

FW
Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Most treadmills specifically state won't operate on GFCI.
I agree.
It wasn't done by choice. The outlet just happened to be close by, but as I mentioned, there is no requirement for a GFCI in that location, unless it is required in a basement?

If GFCI is required in the basement, I am going to have to install a few more of them!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the basement is unfinshed then yes it have to be GFCI'ed but if you have finshed basement room[s] then you dont need the GFCI but as long you dont have any bedroom in the basement you should be ok unless your local code required a AFCI circuit [ it depending on your state code and when that was built if it was before 1999 code cycle it will be clear by long shot but later time it will reqired depending on which code cycle your state did use.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw2007 View Post
I assume this is a joke, but I don't get it.
In any case, the basement is definitely finished. It has panel walls and drop ceiling with recessed lighting.

Its not a joke, the NEC does not require GFI protection in a finished basement... so get rid of the gfi and your problems are solved...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Its not a joke, the NEC does not require GFI protection in a finished basement... so get rid of the gfi and your problems are solved...
After reading your reply, I did a Google and found the new code that does not require GFCI in a finished basement.
There is no bedroom in the basement, so I won't need an AFCI, and even so, the work was done way before 1999.

One of the two GFCI duplex receptacles in the wall at the location where the TM is operating is needed, as it is protecting the receptacle on the outside of the house a few feet away from the GFCI.
The other one used to feed the garage, but we have since disconnected power to the garage, so there is no need for the GFCI there.

While on the subject of code cycles; At what point do I need to update my wiring to meet the new code?
I am doing some piecemeal rewiring in the house, and mostly replacing old wiring and receptacles with new, but not adding any.
However, in some areas I do need to add new receptacles. I'm kind of assuming that once I add receptacles, I need to follow new code for the entire room, or perhaps the entire house, so I will need AFCI receptacles for the bedrooms, and GFCI for bathroom and kitchen (already took care of that).

When we had an addition (actually just enlarged 2 rooms, not adding any) put on the upstairs about 10 years ago, we had to have whole-house smoke alarms installed. New receptacles were added, but no AFCI were installed (perhaps AFCI is more recent than 10 years?), and I don't think the number of receptacles in the expanded rooms meets today's code either.

FW
Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Replace the outside receptacle with a gfci, then you can do away with the one in the basement.

Unless there are loacal laws, the code is not retro active and no need to update your wireing unless you want to.
Acrfaluts have been around since 02( I think)
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Jbfan.,,

The Arcfault was induced in the code in 02 cycle and stay the same on 05 but they rewrite the whole thing on 08 code cycle so they will use the combo AFCI instead of feeder/branch AFCI type.

[ OT for a sec my state dont have AFCI in our state codes.,, yes we are on 05 code cycle now but there are few thing still debating and will know what change it will be effect in sometime in summer/fall time when they announce it.]

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Replace the outside receptacle with a gfci, then you can do away with the one in the basement.

Unless there are loacal laws, the code is not retro active and no need to update your wireing unless you want to.
Acrfaluts have been around since 02( I think)
I would replace the outside with a GFCI, but I wasn't sure it was OK to use the GFCI in an outdoor environment.
The box is weatherproof, but does the GFCI have to be anything special?

FW
Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,038

you must have been sweating into the receptacle

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote