Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

transition to/from wirelmold - code?

i can't imagine this is unique but i could not find an answer...i need to come out of a wall (14/2 romex) and enter surface wiremold..is there a junction box/fitting needed? part b of the problem is going from wiremold to a custom wooden molding (it is 3"x5" wooden channel); same question here.

thanks

drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Any way to run that wire behind the wall instead over it in the molding. Sure would look better.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any way to run that wire behind the wall instead over it in the molding. Sure would look better.
no..that is why this post. it is a brick wll..yes, theoretically i can rip the bricks, run the wire and re-brick but that would be lot more expensive and risky
Old 09-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

You can mount a wiremold box over your exit point and another tight against the wood molding, with the channel run between the two boxes. Your choice to blank cover the boxes, or to put receptacles in them.

Without knowing which series of wiremold you are using, it is hard to give you any other answer.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
You can mount a wiremold box over your exit point and another tight against the wood molding, with the channel run between the two boxes. Your choice to blank cover the boxes, or to put receptacles in them.

Without knowing which series of wiremold you are using, it is hard to give you any other answer.
sure-- your question actually makes me ask my second question below:

(btw, this is in dry living space)

1. so far i was assuming i have to use a metal raceway so i was planning around legrand, 500 series, model V500.

2. however, after reading some posts, it appears that i can use a plastic raceway over romex. the question is is that code-compliant?

thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Master Electrician

I'm going to take a wild stab because I'm too lazy to look it up right now that your not allowed to run wire in a wooden mold. Pretty sure raceways can't be made out of wood for fire reasons. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time today.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote