Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

transformers

I'm looking for a transformer that will reduce the power down from it's now 240v to 24v DC, down to a min 15V. It could even be a variable transformer. It's to reduce the power into a sump pump, slowing it down so that it has more water to pull for each stroke. I've been told to try this by the pump guru from the pump suppliers. Has to be cheaper than a new 300 pump. Any ideas where i could get one? thanks

zoodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

transformers

What you need is not a trasformer at all. You need a VFD (variable frequency drive) also called an "inverter drive". If you reduce the voltage to an AC motor you WILL burn it up. That is a fact, and there's no way around it. The VFD you need will be several hundred dollars. Repost if you want the information on a VFD.

Hang on a sec, you're posting from Europe... is this an AC pump?

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #3

transformers

no it's a pump for a shower drain, it gulps the water back out to the outside drain. I was told that it must be DC. I know squat about electrics but the guy i talked to from the shower company was awesome and really helpful. He's not an elecrical supplier however and didn't know where to look for a transformer.
The problem is due to a noisy sump pump, gulping air and water. The more water it has to work with, then it is a little queiter. We hope to achieve this by reducing the strokes of the pump by having a lower voltage, down to a minimum of 15v. Does that make more sense?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
World famous jerk.

transformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodemon View Post
down to a minimum of 15v. Does that make more sense?
It makes sense, but I don't understand the equipment. I guess you're online from the UK, so you must be using different stuff. You need a 24vdc x 15 vdc transformer. Sounds pretty darned special.

I'll bow out and see if a UK sparky that has some famaliarity with your specific equipment will chime in.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #5

transformers

Would it be possible to put a float switch in near your pump so that when the water hit a pre-determined hieght that it would kick on and the turn off when the float is de-energized? http://www.plumbingsupply.com/alarm.html
nesparky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #6

transformers

being disabled i can't get down there to see. i doubt it as the new sensing pumps made by the company retail at 300. i'm sure if there was an easy fix they would have thought of it. I can't believe there are thousands of noisy disabled shower pumps all over the country. Maybe i'll try the disabled forums for a fix.