Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Transformer gone wild

I have a re-chargeable flashlight that came with a charger which plugs into a 110 volt receptacle and has a rated input of 15 volts DC to charge the lights battery. Today when I attempted to charge the light, the red "charging" and the green "full" LED's alternately blinked and something inside clicked rapidly. Further investigation reveals that my charger is putting out 27 volts DC instead of the rated 15 volts DC. I used a variable AC--DC power supply I had, set on 12 volts DC (as high as it would go) and the unit seems to be charging as normal. Could something have happened to the original charger and it is now delivering too much DC voltage to charge the light? I'm thinking there is a built-in safety "thingy" which would not allow the higher DC voltage to charge the battery. It sounds as if a new charger is needed. Any suggestions? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Transformer gone wild

Any power surges in the area lately? Not real sure but you can send me your charger - I've been looking for something that puts out 27V - 28VDC for a map light that came out of an aircraft. LOL

Whats the cost of replacing the charger? Unlikely to be something repaired.

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Transformer gone wild

Hey, why not? This charger is useless to me for the intended use, and my shop has enough of those "I'll save it for something later" stuff. I checked it again this morning and it is still putting out 27 volts DC. As indicated, the hole of the tip is (+) and the outside of the tip is (-). The charger has printed on it: Input voltage-110 volts AC/output voltage-15 volts DC. But, that's not what it is doing. "fltdek"--I bet that is an acrynonym for "flight deck", what former Navy flat topper? IF you can use this charger send me some info on where to ship it--I'm serious, I don't want it if I can't use it. I'd rather see someone who can get some use out of it have it. The Halogen spotlight in question is charging fine with one of those adjustable chargers set on 12 volts DC. It may be better for it as it has a 12 volt DC battery in it. Thanks, David
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #4

Transformer gone wild

It must be a switcher. I can't see how a linear supply using a 50/60 Hz transformer could ever do this.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Transformer gone wild

Thurman-

I would be interested in trying it if you are just going to discard the charger. Send a blank e-mail to m.divincenzo@crewstart.com ref Charger in subject line, and I will give you my address. Let me know the shipping cost I will reimburse you or send you a gift card from Lowes or HD. Thanks.

And, it does stand for Flight Deck, but not in the military sense, - private/commercial. Figured it would sound stupid to use something, say like "cockpit" LOL

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 12-14-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: removed links - not DIY related
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Transformer gone wild

fltdek: PM coming tomorrow, winding down for today after keeping sick 3 yr. old grandson with bad head cold. This swine-flu thing has me really concerned when he gets sick now.
Yoyizit: not sure what a "switcher" is. As stated, this charger (or should I call this a transformer?) has imprinted on it-120 volt AC input, 15 volt DC output, and some Chinese gibberish. No switches, or adjustments of any kind. Three tests have confirmed the 27 constant volts DC coming from the charger, and it will not work with charging the flashlight. The "charge" and "full" lights just blink alternately. The variable power supply (transformer?) set to 12 volts DC output works well and is bringing the battery back up. Hope that helps. David
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #7

Transformer gone wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
not sure what a "switcher" is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
See
"Risk of equipment damage"
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Transformer gone wild

Thurman -

hey, take your time, more importantly take care of your grandson, we went through the same feeling about a week ago, they had to close the girls school for two days to sterilize, there were 130+ kids that were out sick, and we ended up taking the girls to the docs, there was a 2 and a half hour wait, ironically, the school nurse showed up with her kid...so make sure he gets well. Worry about your transform/charger later.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Transformer gone wild

Wow! and Thanks Yoyizit. That's some very interesting reading. So, I suppose it is possible for this transformer/charger to be able to have an output higher than it is rated for, but maybe not safely. But, if fltdek wants it, it's his. Thanks, David
Thanks for the kind words fltdek. He is better today, has a serious case of "motor-mouth" now, but I'll take it over the way he just wanted to lay around with someone yesterday.

Last edited by Thurman; 11-03-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Transformer gone wild

I thought this was worthy of posting: I had made a call to "Ultimate Laboratories" regarding the SBS2000H3 High Output Spotlight I own which will not charge. The representative I talked to when I called told me the battery was dead and this was causing the "Charge" and "Full" lamps to blink alternately as they were doing. Due to the fact that I had the earlier model of their unit, there are no batteries available at this time. I heard: Tough luck guy, go buy you a new spotlight. Believe it or not--I got a phone call back from Ultimate Laboratories today. They asked me some common questions as to how long I had the light (app. one year), where was it bought (it was a gift, but was purchased at a Costco store in the Atlanta area), how was I using it (in my home repair business, particularly underneath homes as it lit up everything very well). I was informed that there had been a problem with the batteries in some of the earlier models and my unit was going to be replaced free of charge. I asked him to repeat that, and he did. The will ship me a new model of this spotlight, I ship them the old one back with a C.O.D. label and everyone should be happy. Maybe, just maybe--American owned businesses are starting to stand behind their foreign made products. During the discussion the techy stated that the problem of the blinking lights was one he had not heard of before, so they did need the charger as well to test the old unit. He told me he didn't understand how I could be getting 27 volts DC from the supposedly 15 volts DC output charger. It's going to be their problem now for sure. fltdeck--I'm sorry, but I have to send the charger back with the light now. Thanks, David
Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #11

Transformer gone wild

I had/have the same problem. I've been using a 12V charger to barely get mine charged.

I took a voltmeter to Costco with me and tested 3 different chargers right out of the box and they were all putting out 20V, even though they are rated at 15V.

I kept mine for now and i'm trying to get through the support lines so they can send me a new charger.

I showed the problem to Costco employees with my voltmeter and i think they pulled the whole lot of them and sent them back to the manufacturer. I told Costco that customers aren't returning them b/c the big notice inside the box not to return it back to where you bought it. I'm guessing they know they have bad quality control and don't want Costco to know about it.

Call volumes are at 25 minutes right now on the support line.

ps. oh the reason i was suspicious of the wall wart. The instruction manual has a troubleshooting section with this ominous bullet point:

"If the red charging indicator does not light when the AC wall charger is plugged in, the wall charger may be defective."

I wonder why they would think to put that in there...

Last edited by darkarmani; 12-14-2009 at 03:22 PM.
darkarmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #12

Transformer gone wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarmani View Post
they were all putting out 20V, even though they are rated at 15V.
This doesn't mean much in this context. It's nominal vs. actual voltage, or the markings may have little to do with the operating conditions.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 12-14-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #13

Transformer gone wild

Well, anything above 18V was making my charger click back and forth. At 12V it charged just fine. I'm still looking for an extra charger lying around that puts out 15V. I don't think they have any sophisticated charging circuitry.

As far as i know you can charge a 12V lead acid battery with 15V without issue.

I think what is happening is the charging is cutting out when the battery hits a certain voltage. If i try charging at 20V or 18V and turn the flash light on (to make the voltage drop) it acts as though it is charging. I don't know the current the bulb draws, but i think it can draw more than the transformer is rated at (12V @ 55W), so it probably isn't the best to be trying to power it from the wall.

I don't think the product is very safe.

Last edited by darkarmani; 12-14-2009 at 04:13 PM.
darkarmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #14

Transformer gone wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarmani View Post
As far as i know you can charge a 12V lead acid battery with 15V without issue.
13.3v in summer, up to 15.5v in winter. At 17v the electrolyte boils pretty vigorously.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #15

Transformer gone wild

I received this high quality spot light for a X-mas gift three days ago and it is doing the same thing as Thurman's post. Mine has an output of 20V and the charger getting hot while itís clicking and flashing. I was going to take it apart and try to use an alternate charger. But after reading some of the posts I do not have to, you guys have beat me to it

BUTLER is offline   Reply With Quote