Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

transfer switch for generator for whole home power?

I have a 2000w honda inverter, works great when I plug fridge in , PC, etc, but I was wondering if there was an easier way. Apparently you can hook the generator up to the breaker box via interlock?

If so, how much would it cost an electrician to install? I really don't want to futts with electrical, especially the box, so I would be a-ok paying someone, I am just wondering what would be reasonable, and would I be OK hooking up a 2000w honda inverter that only has 120v AC plugs, or do I need one of those bigger ones that have 220v?

I really only want to power the fridge, some lights, electronics, furnace fan, no AC or anything.

Last edited by vivithemage; 08-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #2

If that's all you want to run, your EU2000 will be fine. I used one for a week to do that plus a freezer. You don't have any use for 240v.

Cost of a transfer switch will depend on how convenient your layout is; can't tell from here. You really have to get some quotes. Between 2 and 6 hours?

BTW I put my EU2000 in the garage. Everyone will tell you it is sure to kill everyone in the house, but I had a CO detector next to it the whole week and it was fine. YMMV. Where to put the generator is something you have to figure out before putting the transfer switch in.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

That would be about 1/3 the needed watts to do what your asking.
Bite the bullet and buy a real stand by generator.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That would be about 1/3 the needed watts to do what your asking.
Bite the bullet and buy a real stand by generator.
You probably missed the part where I said I used the same generator for even more for a solid week. There might have been a problem if two things came on at the same time, but that didn't happen.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
BTW I put my EU2000 in the garage. Everyone will tell you it is sure to kill everyone in the house, but I had a CO detector next to it the whole week and it was fine.
I'm was going to try to be nice and diplomatic about this but seeing how this is a pretty serious issue, I'm just going to come out and say what I have to say in hopes of getting your attention..

YOU'RE A FREAKING IDIOT FOR TRUSTING YOUR FAMILY'S SAFETY TO A $20 PIECE OF CRAP THAT WAS PROBABLY MADE IN CHINA WHILE DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU KNOW IS DANGEROUS AND EVERYONE IS TELLING YOU NOT TO DO.

Darwin will be visiting you shortly...... What is upsetting to me is that it will be your family who also pays the price for your ignorance and foolishness.

Hope I made my point... Back to our regularly scheduled program...
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulBob For This Useful Post:
Ben25 (08-03-2014), brric (08-03-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #6

Good to know, I could sell the honda, and grab a 6000~ watt generator of craiglist with 'dirty' power and use that instead, probably make a couple hundred selling the honda unit.

Either way, more curious about hooking it up to a transfer switch or interlock. I do not mind manual at all, as long as I got somewhere to plug the generator into. My garage is attached to the house, but no entrance to the house, so having the genny hookup in there is not a bad idea and i'd just leave the garage door cracked while it ran.
vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
Good to know, I could sell the honda, and grab a 6000~ watt generator of craiglist with 'dirty' power and use that instead,
HUH? Who gave you the idea that a 6000 watt gen would produce dirty power? Or that your honda was producing power that was somehow superior?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote:
My garage is attached to the house, but no entrance to the house, so having the genny hookup in there is not a bad idea and i'd just leave the garage door cracked while it ran.
What the bleeping heck is going on in this thread? Have you people lost your senses? I swear, the "Common" in "Common Sense" no longer exists anymore.
A Darwin award in the making..

Please do not put your generator in your garage while it is running.. That is a very dangerous and stupid thing to do..
You'd be safer carrying a 20 foot copper flag pole in a lighting storm.... Oh wait.. if you put one of those Made in China lightening protectors at the top, that will keep you safe!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBob For This Useful Post:
clw1963 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #8

Funny how I get banded for a week for just asking someone there location, but someone can post suggesting something that can kill you and that's OK.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

Interlock allows you the most flexibility. Transfer switch limits the amount you can have on at one time. Motors running in an attached garage? Even with a great CO detector, probably not a good idea. You could build/buy a small "doghouse" to put the inverter in. A twist lock plug on the outside to either system and you're good to go. I charge about $700.00 to install a six circuit transfer switch. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-...0kZ5eoZ1z118lx
Provided it isn't going to be a ball breaker install. I haven't installed an interlock yet.
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I have a 2000w honda inverter, works great when I plug fridge in , PC, etc, but I was wondering if there was an easier way. Apparently you can hook the generator up to the breaker box via interlock?

If so, how much would it cost an electrician to install? I really don't want to futts with electrical, especially the box, so I would be a-ok paying someone, I am just wondering what would be reasonable, and would I be OK hooking up a 2000w honda inverter that only has 120v AC plugs, or do I need one of those bigger ones that have 220v?

I really only want to power the fridge, some lights, electronics, furnace fan, no AC or anything.
2kva should do what you want,
Just tell the electrician what you want powered
And what you don't want powered
The systems can be configured anyway you wish
Depending on what you buy.
But best leave that part to the electrician.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #11

The best (most flexible, cheapest, etc) way to hook up a generator to

Last edited by beenthere; 08-03-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Removed un safe and non code compliant instructions
Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBob
The best (most flexible, cheapest, etc) way to hook up a generator to

I hope you are not serious about this!!!!!!

Last edited by beenthere; 08-03-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Removed un safe and non code compliant instructions in quote
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
clw1963 (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
DIYer/PoleMonkey

That's why we are taught its not dead until its grounded on the utility side of this business. Transformers don't care about direction.
clw1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clw1963 For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #14

This is a scary thread! Interlocks, IF legal in your community AND properly matched to the brand of the panel, are designed to work with 240v input. 2000kw 120v generator is pathetically small to try and connect "whole house". Use it with a correct inlet with a small transfer switch or the correct extension cords, or get a more substantial generator and connect it following your local code. For the price of a properly sized and connected inverter, you could probably install an 11kw Generac with a whole house service entrance switch and load shedding.
patmurphey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I hope you are not serious about this!!!!!!
I hope you are not serious about your comment...