Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Transfer switch for generator

I have a Reliance ProTran model 31406 transfer switch that I wish to wire into my electrical scheme to run my Generac 5500 watt portable generator. The installation instructions and dvd show basic setup with the 240 volt circuit for the water heater in the electrical panel (just one panel). My electrical service has 2 meters and one large panel for all circuits BUT the water heater, and one small panel just for the water heater. Both panels are fed from outside, the small one is not attached to the large panel in any way.
Does anyone know how I can operate 4 120 volt circuits from the big panel and the 240 volt from the small panel with this transfer switch powered by the generator? I have to bring all the wired into the large panel (most likely), but how do I wire this up?
I will try to attach a pic of the 2 panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Transfer switch for generator-electrical.jpg  
Dave12vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

You have a separate meter for your water heater, I assume because you pay a different rate to power it.

I am not sure how you could do this...

You can get a smaller 2 circuit transfer panel for the water heater, but I am not sure how you could connect both of the transfer panels to one generator. You would be connecting two separate services together which may be illegal.

Do you have a disconnect outside before the meters?
Regination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

i don't think i have a disconnect outside before the meters
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Assuming your WH is 4500 watts there is no way I would consider using a 5500 watt generator to power it along with other appliances.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Piece of cake. Run the wires for the water heater from the switch to the small panel. You will need an extra piece of conduit for that part. Hook the supplied conduit up to the main panel and then just follow the instructions.
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

thanks for the thoughts on the generator size. the Generac was given to me by a relative. i questioned its ability. it has surge to 6250 watts, so I would need to power everything else down while the water was being heated. would a 7500 watt be sufficient, considering we would only heat the water once a day in a power outage?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

So if you got something like this: http://www.platt.com/platt-electric-...px?zpid=572659

You could hook it up to just the water heater service. Then you could switch the generator cord from the main panel transfer switch to the water heater transfer switch when you want to heat the water up.
Regination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

Auger, Are you saying that I bring all of the transfer switch wires into the main panel THEN (using new conduit) flow the 240 volt wires into the small panel? Hook up all the other 4 circuits into the large panel and ground in that panel too?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regination View Post
So if you got something like this: http://www.platt.com/platt-electric-...px?zpid=572659

You could hook it up to just the water heater service. Then you could switch the generator cord from the main panel transfer switch to the water heater transfer switch when you want to heat the water up.

If you only are planning on heating it once a day, this is probably the best way to go.

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 11-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12vette View Post
Auger, Are you saying that I bring all of the transfer switch wires into the main panel THEN (using new conduit) flow the 240 volt wires into the small panel? Hook up all the other 4 circuits into the large panel and ground in that panel too?
You could do it that way or just use a second piece of conduit direct from switch to the small panel. Both ways would work, it is just a matter of which is easier.
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #11

Missouri, Sounds like a very good option.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #12

Auger, Much appreciated
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Master Electrician

You will need two transfer devices unles the transfer is installed ahead of the two meters. If you apply power to the WH from transfer panel without interruption you will backfeed the WH meter and subsequently the main panel meter.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #14

Brric, One of my friends who is an electrician as well agreed with you. 2 devices is perhaps the cleanest way to go. Thanks for your advice.
...and thank you all for your assistance.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12vette View Post
Brric, One of my friends who is an electrician as well agreed with you. 2 devices is perhaps the cleanest way to go. Thanks for your advice.
...and thank you all for your assistance.
You're welcome.