Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Share |

Transfer Switch for furnace - rating?

Hi;
I am considering installing a transfer switch for my gas fired furnace to be powered by my portable generator.
I found this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-...6#.Uj426D9p6Uk, and this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-1...1#.Uj44XT9p6Uk.

Both list generator running power rating.
My generator power rating (5500 Watts) is well above the rating of either of these switches. Why do they state max power rating for the generator if there is a 15A circuit breaker in the unit?

While I understand that the internal components of the switch may have a maximum rating, I would think that the circuit breaker would protect the unit in case it is overloaded. I intend this device to be used only for the furnace, which draws no more than 5A (including circulation pump). The generator has two 20A circuit breakers to protect its output.

Also, what are code considerations for such an install? I can install the switch at the SE panel or at the furnace, although installing at the SE would eliminate the need to run a cord across the basement floor.

Thanks for your advice.

FW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #2

The maximum rating is the maximum amount of power that will pass through the switch.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The maximum rating is the maximum amount of power that will pass through the switch.
So, if I install a switch rated for 1500W which will be connected to a generator that can supply 5500W I will fail code inspection?
Is the inspector going to ask to look at the generator?

FW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
So, if I install a switch rated for 1500W which will be connected to a generator that can supply 5500W I will fail code inspection?
Is the inspector going to ask to look at the generator?

FW
what type of generator do you have? i presume it has receptacles on it of various amperage ratings. to use these switches, you'll plug an extension cord between your generator and the transfer switch when you lose utility power. while the output of your generator may be 5500 W, it will only output the power required for the load served. i suspect your furnace is on a 15 amp circuit so use a 15 amp output on your generator and you should be fine.
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
I am considering installing a transfer switch for my gas fired furnace to be powered by my portable generator.
I found this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-...6#.Uj426D9p6Uk, and this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-1...1#.Uj44XT9p6Uk.

Both list generator running power rating.
My generator power rating (5500 Watts) is well above the rating of either of these switches. Why do they state max power rating for the generator if there is a 15A circuit breaker in the unit?

While I understand that the internal components of the switch may have a maximum rating, I would think that the circuit breaker would protect the unit in case it is overloaded. I intend this device to be used only for the furnace, which draws no more than 5A (including circulation pump). The generator has two 20A circuit breakers to protect its output.

Also, what are code considerations for such an install? I can install the switch at the SE panel or at the furnace, although installing at the SE would eliminate the need to run a cord across the basement floor.

Thanks for your advice.

FW

Yes that will pass inspection and either will work for the furnace "only"
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

now that being said it would not be the best chioce IMHO ...

something like this would be better ...
if you plan to have "other" things on at the same time ...
it comes in a kit gives you the 30 amp cord, outside box so the gen is outside and away from windows and doors, lots of spaces ( breakers ) and then you can wire up what you want to have ,,,, can turn off what you want or turn it on based on the needs at the time ...
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired View Post
what type of generator do you have? i presume it has receptacles on it of various amperage ratings. to use these switches, you'll plug an extension cord between your generator and the transfer switch when you lose utility power. while the output of your generator may be 5500 W, it will only output the power required for the load served. i suspect your furnace is on a 15 amp circuit so use a 15 amp output on your generator and you should be fine.
The generator is a Westinghouse WH5500. It has two 20A breakers for the 4 receptacles on the unit (2 on each leg), plus a 4-wire receptacle for 220V or split 220/120V.

FW

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
now that being said it would not be the best chioce IMHO ...

something like this would be better ...
if you plan to have "other" things on at the same time ...
it comes in a kit gives you the 30 amp cord, outside box so the gen is outside and away from windows and doors, lots of spaces ( breakers ) and then you can wire up what you want to have ,,,, can turn off what you want or turn it on based on the needs at the time ...
I agree. That would be the best way to go. It's only the cost that will be the deciding factor. I am not the one who would pay for the unit; it is my dad, and trying to convince him this is worth the $500 the entire install would cost (probably more with the permit fee) is the most difficult task. But at least I could do the work myself, and that would save plenty!

FW

Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

That kit is about 400.0
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
That kit is about 400.0
Yes, I looked it up on HD and Amazon. I wouldn't need 16 circuits though; I think 10 would be more than enough.

FW

Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

comes with 10 to get 16 you take breakers out and replace them with twins ... the thing we like about it is that it is very easy to reconfigure ...to what is in any particular house ...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Generac is crap, just buy a interlock kit to fit your panel.... $200 bucks tops...

Last edited by stickboy1375; 09-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
E2 Electrician

Quote:
comes with 10 to get 16 you take breakers out and replace them with twins ... the thing we like about it is that it is very easy to reconfigure ...to what is in any particular house ...
Seriously? Not every panel can be swapped out with twins....

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Generac is crap, just buy a interlock kit to fit your panel.... $200 bucks tops...
PLUS the CORD ...PLUS the outside Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Seriously? Not every panel can be swapped out with twins....

seriously ... i mean really ...since i was ONY talking about ONE panel ...the generac panel it most certianly can .....take TWINS ....
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
E2 Electrician

Quote:
PLUS the CORD ...PLUS the outside Box

seriously ... i mean really ...since i was ONY talking about ONE panel ...the generac panel it most certianly can .....take TWINS ....
You're a generac dealer... keep the kool-aid to yourself....