Originally Posted by slickracer
Thank you, the last think I want to do is violate code and jeopardize my homeowners insurance. There have been instances where DIY'ers have done electrical/gas work without proper permits and when things went wrong the insurance company did not pay because the permits were not pulled nor the work done according to code.
Exactly my thoughts. I will pull the necessary permits and get an inspection.
In my case, the transfer switch would be located close to the main panel.
I am considering a larger transfer switch though; one that could switch several other circuits. I absolutely abhor the idea of running extension cords through the house. I had to do it when power went out for 3 days during the October 29-30 snowstorm, but I don't want to have to do it again.
I believe that if the house is "generator ready", we would get more use from the generator, since it wouldn't have to be a long outage to make it worthwhile to run the genny if all you have to do is plug in and throw the transfer switch.
Only issue with wiring several circuits to a larger transfer switch, is the possibility of overloading the generator and thus tripping out its breakers, or stalling it out is higher, since anyone could just plug any appliance into a working receptacle; Thinking of my teenage niece plugging in her hair dryer...