Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Share |

Trailer Trash Main Power Problems

I consider myself a professional. I do not have the plaque on the wall, so I figured I should join this site instead of the other one for "professionals". Sorry for the sarcasm.

Ok, here's the deal. I have this trailer that has totally lost power. I pulled the plug on it, 30 amp main at the plug with a 20 amp normal recepticle next to it. So the plug is reading that it's getting 110. What it's suppose to get. So that is fine. This is where it gets weird. Now there is a main breaker box inside the trailer with the main wire going to it's own separate 30 amp breaker. So like I said, I pulled the plug, pulled it though the house, got it up to the box to make sure that each wire was fine. No breaks. Hooked up an Ohm meter to each wire fine. All wires are good. Plug it back in with only the main power breaker. The wire has juice, the bar for the other breakers has juice. As soon as I put in another breaker and turn it on... no juice on the bar, and no juice in the breaker.

Here is my question. The owner of so called park says he tested the line (like I did) and is getting 110. In my head, I'm like, I can get 110 off of 2amps. So what. Is it possible with no fuses tripping, that the thing outside is pushing a few amps to the trailer and then as soon as I hook up another breaker it's too much for it so nothing runs, yet no fuses are tripping? Just a totally worn out breaker that's been outside for like the last 15 years. Still clicks fine on and off, yet is just gone?

Thanks for any help on this in advance.

M

Spitfire_onme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Is this a camping trailer? A mobil home would have 220 volt coming to the panel, not 110.
And would be a min. of 60 amps. not 30.
Got some pictures of these panels?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Master Electrician

I can tell by your post that you are a true professional. A professional WHAT, I have no idea.

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to busman For This Useful Post:
EBFD6 (02-09-2013), jbfan (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_onme View Post
In my head, I'm like, I can get 110 off of 2amps. So what. Is it possible with no fuses tripping, that the thing outside is pushing a few amps to the trailer and then as soon as I hook up another breaker it's too much for it so nothing runs, yet no fuses are tripping? M
Amps are not pushed, They are pulled with a load.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

I'm gonna say you have a bad underground.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

A... or 1 who are into numbers. Yes it is a mobile. I know that most are 220. This is not. 110 out the door. And it is truly 110 at 30amps. Am going out there to today to test my theory. Will also try to post some pics.

B or 2. Usually the professional jerk to most, until you get to know me.

C to a danpik. I understand all of that. What I am asking, is if it is possible for a breaker to be so bad, that it will only allow a few amps to go through it and still not trip. You have to see this thing. Been out in this nasty Humboldt weather for 15 years.

K buz..... Hmmm, if this test doesn't go right, you might have a good point there. BUT THEN, the ground is going to the outlet,, argh still might be right at the plug in box. The ground at the box that it plugs into... gotta check that.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Thing is, once it's at the box outside... it's out of our jurisdiction and I have to rely on the idiots around there that do not know what the heck they are doing to fix it. Hundreds of dollars to get a guy out there to check it, then he doesn't have the part, a couple more hundred to get him to come back with the right part, and this chick is freezing in the mean time. Can't wait for that uh bullpoop.

Comes down to it. I'm just going to bypass them, do it, and they will never know the wiser that I did them a favor for 50 bucks.

Just too scary of that main power coming in. Can't get the power company to shut it off. So if I don't reply after this one... you know what happened lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Is this a trailer park?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

rrolleston... yes.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

So, you are on a diy site, asking how to repair something so you can make money from someone else?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If you are not comfortable doing this then you should leave it alone and let them find someone else to fix it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #12

jbfan What? I'm talking I'm out 50 bucks for the parts. The chick is freezing and she is my friend. No, not in that way. Get your mind out of the fuze box.

Well, if my test goes wrong on the so called "50 bucks I'm spending to make money thing". I'll have to. Let me get out there, do my test, BUY the parts jbfan, take some photos, and I'll keep you guys up to date.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Blank

Quote:
Thing is, once it's at the box outside... it's out of our jurisdiction and I have to rely on the idiots around there that do not know what the heck they are doing to fix it. Hundreds of dollars to get a guy out there to check it, then he doesn't have the part, a couple more hundred to get him to come back with the right part, and this chick is freezing in the mean time. Can't wait for that uh bullpoop.

Comes down to it. I'm just going to bypass them, do it, and they will never know the wiser that I did them a favor for 50 bucks.

Just too scary of that main power coming in. Can't get the power company to shut it off. So if I don't reply after this one... you know what happened lol.
Anyone else cheering for natural selection here? So, your an unlicensed "professional" who is doing uninsured side work and you're expecting the licensed professionals who help home owners on this site to hold your hand through the job... Which you are doing because licensed professionals are too expensive? Good luck with that.
Baxter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baxter01 For This Useful Post:
EBFD6 (02-08-2013), jbfan (02-08-2013), rrolleston (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Blank

Quote:
jbfan What? I'm talking I'm out 50 bucks for the parts. The chick is freezing and she is my friend. No, not in that way. Get your mind out of the fuze box.

Well, if my test goes wrong on the so called "50 bucks I'm spending to make money thing". I'll have to. Let me get out there, do my test, BUY the parts jbfan, take some photos, and I'll keep you guys up to date.
Fuse... It's spelled fuse, pro.
Baxter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
K buz..... Hmmm, if this test doesn't go right, you might have a good point there. BUT THEN, the ground is going to the outlet,, argh still might be right at the plug in box. The ground at the box that it plugs into... gotta check that.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote