Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Architectural Sculptor

Share |

Track lights

I have searched around and just can't seem to find the fixtures I had in mind, gawd the sheer number of light fixtures to go through on a lighting web site is insane! I would be on a site and faced with something like: "Viewing page 1 of 12,089 results"

I have surface mounted 1/2" EMT conduit and the standard EMT boxes on the ceiling, what I had hoped to find is some track light fixtures that hang down a bit from a single pole with a canopy to cover the box, and the fixture would have 2 or 3 heads that will accept a bulb like the PAR 30 size.

What I am finding is surface mounts, or those with 4-6 heads on them if they do hang down, or PAR 20 heads.
It's a longshot but if anyone has seen something close to what I'm looking for, kindly point me to them!
I'm not looking for $400 or high-end fixtures, they are for a non-profit and I don't have a lot to spend on these, I'm probably going to need 4 to 6 of these and plan to use LED spotlights in them.

Something like this might work but this is a semi-flush mount which because of the conduit doesn't work unless I fabricate something around the boxes like a stepped box for this to mount TO:

Last edited by RWolff; 04-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #2

Track lights

A picture of where your trying to mount this would be a big help.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Track lights

Just ordered a bunch from this company with rust colored track/fittings and some glass globed track fixtures. I shopped around including my usual electrical supply places and found these prices more than decent. 4' track, floating connector, and three fixtures without bulbs $54 plus a couple bucks extra for glass fixtures. I needed some extra track and connectors but they had it all. Line voltage so dimmable. Not sure I want to invest $17/bulb for LED but you can get them if you want.

http://www.direct-lighting.com/track...age-kit-9543FC

You can get the power connectors to float where you need them, at the end, etc. Obviously the electrical connection can be anywhere on the track as far as the track cares.

In addition to track fixtures and extensions for them, there are all kinds of pendants you can hang from track.

Once I got lucky and found oodles of track and fixtures a major retailer had donated to Habitat for Humanity. Worth a pass by them if you have a store near you. Fixtures with bulbs were $2/each.

Last edited by user1007; 04-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
BIGRED

Track lights

Hopefully you have higher ceilings than 8 feet, but get a deep base for a flush mount ceiling fan and whatever parts you need mount a 2 x 4 weatherproof box to hold a three light face plate like for outdoor floods. If you are actually using LEDs the electronic drivers in them run at about body temperature so there is no problem with heat. You could actually just use the weatherproof box in place of the metal one with with all the slug knockouts. It looks much better and you can get screw in plugs for the box holes that you don't use. The face plate for the 2 x 4 box also holds 1-3 light hoods like the one you have. Good Luck
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Architectural Sculptor

Track lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A picture of where your trying to mount this would be a big help.
Here is one photo that I have on hand Joe, the arrow points to a typical octagon EMT box, the 1/2" conduit may be hard to see in the picture because it blends in with the steel ceiling's rib design and is painted the same color, but it runs diagonally in the picture lower left to upper right.
It would take a large canopy to cover the box, or I might have to fabricate a 2" deep "step" notched on 2 sides for the conduit to pass through, for a fixture to mount to. totally finished appearances are not especially important as this is a 13-1/2' high ceiling and the lights I want should be white like the ceiling or painted to match so they don't stand out.

The conduit is not above the ceiling due to the fact the attic space is full of asbestos insulation and this is a steel ceiling, both aspects would make it miserable to try to cut holes and flush mount fixtures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Hopefully you have higher ceilings than 8 feet, but get a deep base for a flush mount ceiling fan and whatever parts you need mount a 2 x 4 weatherproof box to hold a three light face plate like for outdoor floods. If you are actually using LEDs the electronic drivers in them run at about body temperature so there is no problem with heat. You could actually just use the weatherproof box in place of the metal one with with all the slug knockouts. It looks much better and you can get screw in plugs for the box holes that you don't use. The face plate for the 2 x 4 box also holds 1-3 light hoods like the one you have. Good Luck
Thanks Bud, the photo should help above, and why I can't use flush mount fixtures is also explained better now.
The ceiling is 13-1/2' high, 20'x96'
That fan base might possibly work, yeah! I'll look into that today, good tip! If it doesn't work, I can fabricate something similar that will.

I have 3 LED's PAR20 size, 50 watt equiv at home, they are very bright and a good warm light, I bought the Lightkiwi brand after reading the reviews on them, they are well made. After running the one over my desk for a good 8-10 hours, the bulb is cool enough to touch and hold, and it uses I think 6 or 9 watts total, so it's good all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Just ordered a bunch from this company with rust colored track/fittings and some glass globed track fixtures...
Thanks for that, I will check that and see if there's something workable there, now that I have a picture here and more details, it should help.

Something like this would work too, but this is a flush mount as well, the canopy is not deep enough to cover the box, which is okay I guess, but I don't see in the picture exactly how this fixture is MOUNTED and if the mounting for this would work. It seems to have a finished nut in the center but it's apoor picture. if the sides of the EMT box are visible it would not matter very much, I could either fabricate a "step"/cover to hide that, or this round canopy might be large enough diameter to cover the box enough you can't easily see it anyway, the 1/2" conduit is visible anyway and it's 13-1/2' up.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Track lights

What type of building is this?
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Track lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
What type of building is this?
It's a low traffic art gallery/museum that will be open one afternoon a week seasonally, it doesn't need much light as the street end is all windows and faces East, so the spotlights are mainly for accenting in the front area. The rear half has suspended fluorescent lamps.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-20-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Track lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
It's an art gallery/museum
Why not just have your electrical contractor spec you out some lights?
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Track lights

Because I can find the lights I want (hopefully) myself, and I'm not going to buy them all at once anyway. I want to buy one fixture and see if it will "work" and put enough of and the right light where I want it to go before I buy any more of them.
I would really not be happy buying half a dozen fixtures that can't be returned, only to discover the light output sucks, is too little, too much, or doesn't illuminate the walls as I anticipated.
I want to see the fixture and have one working before going any futher.

It might be a case of having to go to a physical store and looking at what they have and seeing if possible any working light displays.
I don't want any of that cheap plastic stuff, needs to be metal.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
custom user

Track lights

Here's a thought. Buy one, hook it up to some power and take it up on a ladder and see if it works.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Track lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
Here's a thought. Buy one, hook it up to some power and take it up on a ladder and see if it works.
Yeah that's about what I had in mind, but my problem is I need to find the suitable FIXTURE first.

I have a bunch of the canopies and drop poles from hanging 1950 era fluorescent lamps that I removed, the poles are heavy chrome plated steel and the canopies are white painted steel, they all hung from the ceiling originally with a lag screw and fender washer under each pole's special mounting bracket.

I'm not sure if they can be adapted, I didn't want to toss them out as they are very good quality from the days when things were made substantial. They are too long at 3' and would have to be cut down which of course means re-threading that cut end.
This is going to be a little bit of a challenge to find just the right fixtures and parts but I'm confident I will.

This is how the lamps were originally hanging, all of those poles and canopies I kept when these lamps were tossed:

Last edited by RWolff; 04-20-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Track lights

For lighting art you will want fixtures that will take a range of focus angle bulbs. In the gallery world, we used everything from tight spots to broad floods. Halogens were nice because they have a high color rendering index (CRI). Most florescents are terrible in this regard except for full spectrum, daylight bulbs with color temperatures around 6500K---the industry standard for working with color. The color temp is less important than the breadth of the CRI though and you want bulbs above 90 and preferably above 95.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Architectural Sculptor

Track lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
For lighting art you will want fixtures that will take a range of focus angle bulbs. In the gallery world, we used everything from tight spots to broad floods. Halogens were nice because they have a high color rendering index (CRI).

Good tips, I know halogens can get quite hot too, what do you think of the LED spots if you have tried them yet?

I have 3 of these PAR20 at home and they are surprisingly bright:

http://www.lightkiwi.com/PAR20-3x3w-warmwhite

But these have a wider beam and a different shape:

http://www.lightkiwi.com/LED-Light-B...50W-Equivalent

They have PAR30 and PAR38 and others, but I have not seen them in person.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
JOATMON

Track lights

Just as a reference....have a look over on the Ikea site.....they actually have a pretty good selection.

If it makes you feel better....I know what you mean about "1 of 103,234"

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Licensed Electrician

Track lights

Here's the problem with any advice given to you here. It is basically useless. Commercial spaces generally have special State requirements...ie, number of switches, certain light levels, emergency lights, TYPE of lamps.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote