Track Light Does Not Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Track light does not light

Hello,
I just replaced an old track light by a new one, similar type (track, power feed, and 4 spotlight fixtures using GU10 bulbs). All connections (black, white and ground) are correctly connected and everything is in place, I checked power from the box to each of the spotlights using a voltage detector (the kind that beeps continuously when power is present), but none of them lights up even with brand new bulbs coming from the same package. This is a simple fixture replacement, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Advertisement

ykphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

what is the manufacturer and style (model) of the track and lights?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #3

All parts are made by Hampton Bay: 44 in. track, power feed, spotlights, similar to this model:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Old 02-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

similar isn't good enough. If you just installed them, an exact model number shouldn't be hard to come by.

but without that, 2 things to look at:

1. do you have the heads on backwards. There are two contacts on one side (neutral and ground) and one contact on the other (hot). If you figure out how to put the heads on the wrong way, they generally don't work.

2. is the track and heads designed for a single or multiple circuit system. If the track is multi-circuit and you are trying to connect to a circuit you don't have powered, they won't work. If you try to mix multi-circuit heads or track with single circuit pieces, they generally don't work.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #5

The power feed is Model: HBT-125. Track bar is Model: HBT-104; Spotlights are Model: HBTH007, all from Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure the two contacts on one side and the hot one on the other side of each spotlight are engaged properly in their corresponding grooves on both sides of the track. When I test the power, the tester gives me a continuous beeping all the way to the end of the spotlight so I assume the spotlight is connected correctly. But maybe not, I'll check again when I get home.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

a non-contact tester isn't going to cut it. You need an actual volt meter so you can check the neutral connection as well. You can very carefully probe the rails in the track being very cautious not to short your circuit to the track housing.

Wrapping the probe with tape except for the very tip is helpful.

I know you bought them but the listing for the head says: lamps sold separately. I am sure you were aware of that but just trying to be thorough here.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to make sure there is proper connection between the feeder and the rail

Advertisement