Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

TR vs. TR+WR outlets

So I replaced those 5 receptacles outside my house. However, unfamiliar with recent code for WR receptacles, I use just TR receptacles. However, all receptacles are covered. I even replaced the metal J-boxes since they were starting to oxidize after 29 years and rubber gaskets were dried out/cracked. Even some of the outlets I pulled out were almost completely rotted/rusted and 2 of the 3 of them cracked.

I should be okay right? I know they're not TR+WR receptacles but the issue is that the circuit breaker is GFI. Rather than switch to standard breaker and buy all new GFCI WR+TR outlets for an added cost, I'd just stick with TR since the breaker/circuit is already GFI protected. Also, all outlets are covered for both uses in wet rain/snow, etc.
Thanks,

~Skelleyman

Skelleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Common Sense Common Guy

Rewards Points: 75

TR vs. TR+WR outlets

Are you protected from a human safety perspective because of the GFI breaker? Yes.

Is it to code? Depends on your code cycle and adoption. 2011 code 406.9(A), "Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations" says "All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type." No exceptions or exclusions for GFI breaker-protected circuits.

In 2008 the draft code specified this, but it was delayed in implementation to allow manufacturers to catch up, and some jurisdictions explicitly modified this in their adoption.

flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote