DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   TR vs. TR+WR outlets (

Skelleyman 10-17-2012 12:17 PM

TR vs. TR+WR outlets
So I replaced those 5 receptacles outside my house. However, unfamiliar with recent code for WR receptacles, I use just TR receptacles. However, all receptacles are covered. I even replaced the metal J-boxes since they were starting to oxidize after 29 years and rubber gaskets were dried out/cracked. Even some of the outlets I pulled out were almost completely rotted/rusted and 2 of the 3 of them cracked.

I should be okay right? I know they're not TR+WR receptacles but the issue is that the circuit breaker is GFI. Rather than switch to standard breaker and buy all new GFCI WR+TR outlets for an added cost, I'd just stick with TR since the breaker/circuit is already GFI protected. Also, all outlets are covered for both uses in wet rain/snow, etc.


flasherz 10-17-2012 04:09 PM

Are you protected from a human safety perspective because of the GFI breaker? Yes.

Is it to code? Depends on your code cycle and adoption. 2011 code 406.9(A), "Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations" says "All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type." No exceptions or exclusions for GFI breaker-protected circuits.

In 2008 the draft code specified this, but it was delayed in implementation to allow manufacturers to catch up, and some jurisdictions explicitly modified this in their adoption.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1