Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Touch lamp stopped functioning properly

Hi,

I accidentally dropped my desk touch lamp and now it doesn't function.
I changed the burn 40w bulb and when I plugged the wire into the socket, the lamp does light on but the "Touch" capability is not working.

I removed the bottom enclosure and I am attaching a picture of the wires inside for additional info.
I did some googling and discovered that most likely the touch control box has to be reset (replaced). I went on eBay and saw that some similar touch control sensors cost as little as $1.50. Is that what I need to purchase?
I would not want to convert the lamp into a regular desk lamp by adding a on/off switch, while the "touch" capability is useful on my bed stand.

Based on what was mentioned, is the lamp repairable? Can a lamp with such malfunction be repaired by somebody who doesn't have experience with electricity?

This is the eBay touch sensor. It looks similar to mine, but the wire colors do not match, plus it's a cheap chinese part so I'm wondering about quality. However, I would prefer to spend $1.50 on the sensor if the installation is straight forward rather than spend $35 on a similar lamp..

Thanks for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Touch lamp stopped functioning properly-img_1226.jpg   Touch lamp stopped functioning properly-img_1228.jpg  

Spend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

all you need to do is follow the schematic on the control unit.the one you are showing is for 220 volts & most likely will not work on 120.lowes usually carries them for around $10 i belive.

circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to circuitman For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

You said you changed the bulb after dropping the lamp. Did you put a incandescent bulb in it ?

Touch controls and CFL's are not compatible. You can also have compatibility problems with LED replacement bulbs.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

Thanks for replying circuitman and Oso954.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitman View Post
all you need to do is follow the schematic on the control unit.the one you are showing is for 220 volts & most likely will not work on 120.lowes usually carries them for around $10 i belive.

You're right, my lamp is only 120v. Will the following control sensor work? It is specified as 120v/240v on the product page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-lamp-d...item23337835a3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
You said you changed the bulb after dropping the lamp. Did you put a incandescent bulb in it ?

Touch controls and CFL's are not compatible. You can also have compatibility problems with LED replacement bulbs.
No, I had a spare of the same bulb I used previously. I used a 40W chandelier bulb.

Is the above touch lamp sensor what I need to solve the problem of the "touch" function not working and the lamp being always on when plugged into A/C? The above eBay switch looks so cheap compared to the one that came with the lamp. Makes me wonder if it is the same type of switch..

Just out of curiosity, I went to a local lamp repair shop and the repair guy wanted to charge me $20-30 just for the labor of installing the touch sensor. Kind of makes me wonder if I could do it myself then...

If I end up getting the touch sensor from eBay I would really want to avoid a short-circuit if I end up messing up the wiring...
Spend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

if it rated for 120/240 volt , then yes it should work. just follow the supplied diagram.
circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote