Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

too many wires

I am installing a Kelvinator cooktop with 4 burners, the wiring whip has 5 wires coming from it, two look red, (one is more pink than red?), one is dark brown and two are yellow / green. I have 3 wires to the junction box for this appliance red, black, and white. I am assumming that the two red wires are hot and go to my red wire and the brown wire is hot and goes to my black wire and the yellow greens are grounds and faten to the juction box? I have read that they could possibly go to the neutral or white wire as well but I do not wish to do anything which is unsafe, please help thanks. John

johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

too many wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyj View Post
I am installing a Kelvinator cooktop with 4 burners, the wiring whip has 5 wires coming from it, two look red, (one is more pink than red?), one is dark brown and two are yellow / green. I have 3 wires to the junction box for this appliance red, black, and white. I am assumming that the two red wires are hot and go to my red wire and the brown wire is hot and goes to my black wire and the yellow greens are grounds and faten to the juction box? I have read that they could possibly go to the neutral or white wire as well but I do not wish to do anything which is unsafe, please help thanks. John
Making assumptions about 240V circuits will be hazardous to your health.

Did not the cooktop come with an installation sheet or manual? If not, Google "Kelvinator modelnumber".

If wired correctly, the red and the black wires in the j-box are the two hot sides of the 240V circuit; the white should be the neutral. There is no bare (or possibly green) ground wire?

Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave632 For This Useful Post:
johnnyj (10-16-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

too many wires

Didn't like the "Rolex" but did like the "Kelvinator" the dude was selling out of his trunk?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
johnnyj (10-16-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

too many wires

Quote:
John .,

Are you in UK area ? if so this is a common European connection it is not the same as you see in North Americian side at all.

For the UK / European verison it can be wired either single phase or triphase connection but few case you may have two circuits to limit the breaker rating so it should be no more than 24 amp per circuit on single phase side I know you can go much as 32 amp but the issue is the Customer Unit size that will affect the whole thing.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

too many wires

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I am always very careful when doing electrical work like this but you can't have too many reminders about being safe, I simply shut the power off at the panel and work with a flash light.
I am in Canada ans assume the Kelvinator was assembled in Europe? The single phase connection is what I will make but I am just not certain about the two reds? I understand this is probably a split system some power to the elements and less power to the lights? So I would just combine the two reds as on side hot and the brown is the second hot and the yellow/ greens are ground/earth: can /should the ground/ earth go to the white neutral or just to the junction box and cap the white with a wire nut? I will look for the manual from the site provided. Thanks for all of the help. John
Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Common Sense Common Guy

too many wires

Quote:
So I would just combine the two reds as on side hot and the brown is the second hot and the yellow/ greens are ground/earth:
With color coding like that you *need* the manual.
Quote:
can /should the ground/ earth go to the white neutral or just to the junction box and cap the white with a wire nut?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Without explicit instructions by the manufacturer (e.g., a new dryer connecting to older ungrounded, NEMA 10-type receptacles) you should never connect a green wire to the white "neutral".

You really need the manual here with color coding like that.
flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

too many wires

OK the manual is nowhere to be found but I Will try to get one on line. I opened panel cover where the wire diagram was supposed to be but nothing there and the schematic is not helpful to me. I did read a description of ground being tied to neutral but I will not try this. I really do need to hook this thing up, I have done this at least 4 time and it was very simple but the wires were the same from the appliance and from the home circuit. Is it usual then to have two red wires from the appliance and tie them both to the red house wire and two grounds / earth and connect those to the junction box and the brown wire is the second hot wire and then just cap the white neutral wire in the junction box? Thanks. John
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Common Sense Common Guy

too many wires

If you can post a picture of the schematic that includes wire colors we might be able to help you.
flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

too many wires

That sounds like the safest thing to do at this point I will try to do it first thing in the morning. Thanks again. John
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

too many wires

You could even try phoning Kelvinator Technical Support at 1-866-738-1641.
Koldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koldhammer For This Useful Post:
johnnyj (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #11

too many wires

Thanks again I will call, I have tried to download at manuals but my computer does not like the site and this thing is making me crazy...better that than start a fire!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

too many wires

Quote:
I opened panel cover where the wire diagram was supposed to be but nothing there and the schematic is not helpful to me.
I suspect the schematic is actually quite helpful to you, but you don't know what you're looking at. I can't imagine that it doesn't contain the information you need.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #13

too many wires

OK so I called the number 1-866-738-1641 and they were very polite but could not help me and referred me to SEARS as the model # C970-404893 was made for SEARS by Electrolux in China...SEARS does not offer technical advice but could order me a manual. So with this knowledge that it was made for SEARS Canada, in China by Electrolux can anyone tell me the correct way to wire this thing...there are 5 wires in the harness from the cooktop two are red although one of them looks more pink than red, two are yellow / green, and one is dark brown...the green/yellows are ground/earth, the two reds are hot and the brown is the other hot...so reds to my red wire, brown to my black wire, cap my neutral / white wire with a nut and connect the green / yellow wires in the junction box to the ground/earth wire there? Does this sound like the probable way to place these wires? Thanks. John
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

too many wires

Quote:
OK so I called the number 1-866-738-1641 and they were very polite but could not help me and referred me to SEARS as the model # C970-404893 was made for SEARS by Electrolux in China...SEARS does not offer technical advice but could order me a manual. So with this knowledge that it was made for SEARS Canada, in China by Electrolux can anyone tell me the correct way to wire this thing...there are 5 wires in the harness from the cooktop two are red although one of them looks more pink than red, two are yellow / green, and one is dark brown...the green/yellows are ground/earth, the two reds are hot and the brown is the other hot...so reds to my red wire, brown to my black wire, cap my neutral / white wire with a nut and connect the green / yellow wires in the junction box to the ground/earth wire there? Does this sound like the probable way to place these wires? Thanks. John
Nope, we can't tell you, and you're guessing. You need a manual, or the schematic.
johnnyj (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

too many wires

OK, I will scan the schematic and post it tomorrow. Thanks. John