Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

Toaster Problem

About 3 months ago, my old 8 year toaster finally died after being used many times every day. Okay, no biggie. Went out and bought a new one. I use the toaster more times than I can count every day.

This one is killing my outlet though. After about 2 weeks, I have to replace the outlet, because it starts blackening and crisping the inside of the outlet. It happens every 2 weeks.

Why? Because you have to unplug the unit to get the toaster to pop up. Unplugging the unit while under load sparks the outlet. You cannot pop up the lever while it is on.

I thought maybe I had a defective toaster, but the last 2 returned are the same. So I went out and bough 2 different brands, and they are both the same design. Even the more expensive $40 one. $40 on a dang toaster!

The outlets are contractor grade Levitons. Didn't matter what I replaced it with. The 99 cent ones or the commercial grade ones.

Right now I am using a power strip to turn the toaster off before unplugging it. Although, I hate having a 3ft long power strip cord dangling near the sink, where it has already fallen in once or twice (Outlet is GFCI)

How can we solve this China product problem? This is purely low quality, cost cutting junk anymore.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Toaster Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post

Why? Because you have to unplug the unit to get the toaster to pop up. Unplugging the unit while under load sparks the outlet. You cannot pop up the lever while it is on.
Buy a new (good) toaster.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Toaster Problem

I agree with Tarheel, Your toaster is a disaster. You need to replace the Toaster.
In hindsight you should have returned it after the first two weeks.
If I had this problem I would buy my a highly recommended toaster from Amazon and save the shipping box until you are sure it will last.
Here is one recommended by CR that I would buy. It has a 'Cancel' function so you don't have to manually force any levers up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote