Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tips for underground IMC install

As a follow up to a question I posed last night... Does anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to pass on with running 2" galvanized IMC conduit underground? Due to the soil conditions in Vegas my backyard is pretty much about 12 inches of soil on top of a solid sheet of rock, thus running loose cable or PVC is pretty much a no go without explosives. I've run literally miles of EMT for audio and video lines (Iím a audio systems engineer with a large production show on the strip), but Iíve never had to deal with threaded conduit or the proper sealing for underground purposes. This is going to be permitted and inspected, so I need to cover my bases. They are currently on NEC 2005, but being told that they will be moving to the 2008 code very soon. I'm particular interested if there is pipe dope or wrap I should use in order to prevent water from seeping into the conduit at the conduit connections. I would much rather spend a few more dollars or hours now to prevent major headaches later. Thanks all!

-EM

beaker353 is offline   Reply With Quote