Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Smile

Tips for New Construction

Hey Guys,

We will soon begin building a new 2100 sqft two-story home. We're going to be doing a limited amount of the work ourselves. The electrical work is one of the tasks that we have chosen. I know, the first thing that is going through your mind is that whole-house wiring should be left up to a licensed electrician.

Aside from that bit of advice, what else do you guys have to offer? I'm looking for a good book or two, and some documentation that focuses on code compliance. I have a good understanding of electricity and routinely work with control panels in a manufacturing environment.

Residential rough-in and finish work is a different animal, and I understand that. If I feel that I do not thoroughly understand everything before I even start, I will hire an electrician to perform periodic inspections of my work and to assist me in any areas that I may need help.

At this point, I only anticipate needing help with the construction and home meter loops.

So, what suggestions do you guys have? What books do you suggest for this?

Thanks!

David

Patriot_RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Well, from the sound of it your are thinking since you know a good bit about a certain area of electrics you feel confident you can learn home wiring. You are aware, as you state, that home wiring is a VERY different animal from other areas of electric and electronics.
The slight code nuances and requirements we all (as electricians) have in memory are many and varied.

My take on it is; from the sound of your post you are not at all ready to tackle a whole house wire. I know many folks diminish the complexity of home wiring and are under the impression that it is basic stuff. If you are an advanced DIYer who has done most all of the tasks that it takes to wire a whole house, just not all at once, then you may be ready for it. This is not to say it is still a good idea. I just don't get that impression from your post.
I guarantee it will take you 5x (or more) longer than a skilled electrician.
If time IS on your side then hey, what do you have to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinke
If I feel that I do not thoroughly understand everything before I even start, I will hire an electrician to perform periodic inspections of my work and to assist me in any areas that I may need help.
I hate to sound like the classic cynic, but good luck in finding one to do this.
I get asked quite often and I give a resounding NO to these requests.

Who is pulling the permits? If the electrician does the service who will get that inspected?
Typically the house and service are under one permit.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

You should get an elctrician to assist you through every step, would be easy money for him, and a well wired house for you.
Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

My father-in-law is in the security business and routinely does work with electricians on jobsites. He referred me to an electrician who would be happy to help me through the process. I've been in several houses that have been roughed in the past month or two and looked at all of the details of the wiring. Luckily, our local codes here are not as strict as many cities. I also took several digital photos of the work.

I think the part that I will have the toughest time with is installing the boxes in the ceilings and getting everything centered. I'm also not looking forward to the 18' ceilings in the great room.

Anyhow, it looks like I have somebody to help me through the process. I have a good understanding of electricity since I deal with 240v control panels in the workplace on a daily basis. I also swapped out the panel in my current home today in less than four hours. And hey -- all is well so far!

Anyhow, thanks for the advice!
Patriot_RAM is offline   Reply With Quote