DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Tips on how I can get this electrical job done for a hot tub in backyard. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/tips-how-i-can-get-electrical-job-done-hot-tub-backyard-78588/)

the punisher 08-12-2010 04:45 PM

Tips on how I can get this electrical job done for a hot tub in backyard.
 
So the hot tub, needs 6-3 wire and 50A GFCI. 220V

The location of the tub is about 30-40 feet from the main panel in the house, right beside the Garage.

From the Main Panel to the garage panel. I have 10-3 wire. 220V It is hooked up at the main like this:
Red to 30Amp breaker,
Black to another 30Amp breaker.
White to neutral bus
Ground to ground bus

Now I am confused as to what my options are, can I connect a Hot tub Panel 50A GFCI to the panel of the garage? So basically I would run 6-3 from the garage panel to the hot tub panel. Can this be done?

I'm assuming you have to bring 6-3 all the way from the Main Panel inside the house to the tub panel, however how is that going to get done when it is all concrete up to the tub?? Can electrical wire run above ground?

Scuba_Dave 08-12-2010 05:18 PM

You can't wire a 50a hot tub off a 30a sub panel
And you need an insulated ground to the hot tub
Also a shut off within site of the hot tub
...I forget if there is an exact distance
...plus possibly a bonding grid around the tub depending upon what its sitting on
...with concrete I think you will need the grid

Usually you need conduit to wire up a hot tub
Possibly there is another wiring option
You can't just lay wire along the ground tho

the punisher 08-12-2010 05:26 PM

I see, ok what about replacing the breakers at the Main Panel with 50A, and replacing the sub-panel in the garage with one of 50A?

The 10-3 wire coming from main to garage, has 4 wires, all are insulated and run inside a tube that is running underground to the garage.

Is my only option running a 6-3 from the main to the hot tub panel? If so does this wire need to run under ground?

Scuba_Dave 08-12-2010 05:48 PM

The 10-3 wire is only rated for 30a
You would need new wire
The garage is detached from the house ?
Is the tub going to be on the far side of the garage...or on the side near the house ?

You need to read thru section 680 of NEC code

Speedy Petey 08-12-2010 05:54 PM

Punisher, I have been giving advice on these boards for many years. I have to say, there is SO much wrong with your plan, and so much misconception, it scares me. The impression I get is that you really do not have enough experience, and do not know the codes involved with doing a job like this.

It is my professional opinion that you hire someone qualified, licensed and insured.

There is WAY too much at stake with a job like this, such as your family's safety. Don't compromise that for a couple hundred bucks.

the punisher 08-12-2010 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 484839)
The 10-3 wire is only rated for 30a
You would need new wire
The garage is detached from the house ?
Is the tub going to be on the far side of the garage...or on the side near the house ?

You need to read thru section 680 of NEC code

Yup i did some reading while I awaited your reply and I see that 10/3 is only rated for 30amps, the tub calls for 6/3 50Amp. So it looks like I will need a new wire or find a tub that does not need such high amperage, but that will be hard.
The garage is not attached, the tub would be on the side near the house. I attached a sketch of my layout so you can get a clear idea of the house,tub,garage location.

Since the whole backyard is cemented it would be pretty much impossible to run a new wire underground. Unless the 6/3 wire would fit inside the tube that is going to the garage, pull the 10/3 out and feed the 6/3 through the tube.

the punisher 08-12-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 484840)
Punisher, I have been giving advice on these boards for many years. I have to say, there is SO much wrong with your plan, and so much misconception, it scares me. The impression I get is that you really do not have enough experience, and do not know the codes involved with doing a job like this.

It is my professional opinion that you hire someone qualified, licensed and insured.

There is WAY too much at stake with a job like this, such as your family's safety. Don't compromise that for a couple hundred bucks.

Don't get me wrong, I am not planning on doing this my self, but before I go out and buy the tub, ( takes 2 months to deliver) I want to make sure that the electrical job for it can be done and the cost of it. If i need to get a 6/3 run from house to tub, that is going to cost quite a bit at $11 a meter, and if so then I need to offset that cost somewhere on the tub upgrades..

Scuba_Dave 08-12-2010 06:54 PM

You would probably need to feed the garage with more then 50a to satisfy an Inspector on Load Calc
But with concrete between the house & garage that may be your best option
What size is your main panel ?

the punisher 08-12-2010 07:05 PM

Main panel in the house is 200 amp.

I was looking at the tube that goes from the main panel to the garage underground, doesn't look like the 6/3 wire will fit through it, the diameter seems rather small for 6/3 wire.

So I am assuming that the wire will have to run above ground, suspended in the air, as long as it meets code height and cable is weather protected. This adds extra cost cuz now the cable lenght has just become longer having to go up the house, across backyard and down to the hot tub panel.. argh... this is becoming an expensive project.

Can a wire that thick run suspended in the air?

Scuba_Dave 08-12-2010 07:12 PM

Is the concrete a driveway ?
Or can it be considered one by an Inspector ?
There is a min height over a driveway required
Not sure on what wire you would need

the punisher 08-12-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 484876)
Is the concrete a driveway ?
Or can it be considered one by an Inspector ?
There is a min height over a driveway required
Not sure on what wire you would need

Nope not a driveway, it is fenced in on both sides.

Anyways I am contacting a couple of electricians for them to come out and give me an idea on price.

At least now I somewhat know what my options are, Thanx for all the help.

busman 08-13-2010 08:57 AM

There are hot tubs (spas) that run on a 20A 120V cord/plug connection.

the punisher 08-13-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busman (Post 485109)
There are hot tubs (spas) that run on a 20A 120V cord/plug connection.


I have yet to find one. I have checked Artic Spas , beachcomber, Maybe have to look harder

Scuba_Dave 08-13-2010 09:55 AM

They are usually the smaller 2-3 person hot tubs
But I do have an old one that was taken apart that was maybe 6x6' , 4-6 people could fit in it & it plugged into a 20a circuit - T slot plug

unlvrebel 08-13-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the punisher (Post 484842)
...Since the whole backyard is cemented it would be pretty much impossible to run a new wire underground...

A concrete saw will make it very easy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved