Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Timing ceiling light to turn on

Hi,

I have a real basic task that I'd like: to have one of my ceiling lights in home our gym room turn on at a specific time each day (and then turn off a couple hours later, also on a designated timer). The timing will NOT fluctuate each day so a 24 hour timing cycle is all that is needed.

I would just get a cycle timer if the light was plugged in, but since its a ceiling light on a light switch I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks for any help

Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

http://www.nextag.com/wall-switch-timer/compare-html

Check this site for electronic timers that replace light switches.

codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

There are in-wall timers that replace a wall switch. I have seen these at the common home improvement stores, made by intermatic.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
There are in-wall timers that replace a wall switch. I have seen these at the common home improvement stores, made by intermatic.
ditto

I got an intermatic timer from Lowe's, and the one I got even works to replace a 3-way light switch.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
Hi,

I have a real basic task that I'd like: to have one of my ceiling lights in home our gym room turn on at a specific time each day (and then turn off a couple hours later, also on a designated timer). The timing will NOT fluctuate each day so a 24 hour timing cycle is all that is needed.

I would just get a cycle timer if the light was plugged in, but since its a ceiling light on a light switch I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks for any help
There's a large selection of in wall timers to replace a switch, as other posters pointed out. But there's one piece of advice that I'd like to give you. (Since it appears that you're not a PRO or an experienced DIY'r.) There are Two kinds of switch/timers. Ones that use a Neutral. and those that don't require the use of a Neutral. You just connect to the wires of the switch. With the latter, you can not use any regular fluorescent or CFL lamps (Energy saving). Only incandescent or Halogen lamps. With the others (that use a Neutral wire), you can connect any load and do not require a working lightbulb to be in the socket for the timer to work.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

The way I read the OP is that they want a light to come on at a certain time of day--then turn off a couple of hours later automatically, without touching anything. The timers I see recommended require having someone to actuate them. Well, that's the way I read the postings. "Intermatic", and others do make 24-hr. cycle timers, with adjustable/multiple "ON/OFF" settings, which would do this. These units require a constant power source to operate. There are models which are designed to be "hard wired" (no plug-it-in) and could be placed into your existing lighting circuit. You can use this to replace your existing switch, or have it wired parallel so you may use the switch as needed. This will depend on your DIY electrical skills. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

I had a few minutes to look: This is a new model to me. The good thing is that it will replace your existing light switch.
Intermatic model #
EJ351C

I've got to learn how to transfer pics, , , , David[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVIDC%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote