Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

timer switch wiring

i am attempting to wire a new timer switch onto an exsisting circut. the wiring comming from the wall box is the old cloth covered non color coded wires. the new switch has three wires, red, black and white.there is no indication that the box itself is grounded nor is there a visible ground wire comming from the box. if i use white as nuetral and black as hot can the red wire on the wall switch be cut, stripped and capped?

mlang43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

timer switch wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang43 View Post
i am attempting to wire a new timer switch onto an exsisting circut. the wiring comming from the wall box is the old cloth covered non color coded wires. the new switch has three wires, red, black and white.there is no indication that the box itself is grounded nor is there a visible ground wire comming from the box. if i use white as nuetral and black as hot can the red wire on the wall switch be cut, stripped and capped?
Nope. Won't work at all if you cap the red wire. The red wire is for the switched load.

How many wires are in the switch box? If there are only 2 present, this timer switch will not work.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

timer switch wiring

there are only two wires comming from the box. it looks like whoever installed the first timer marked one wire as blue and one as black. looks like ill need another timer...thank you so much for your help
mlang43 is offline   Reply With Quote