Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Physics Teacher and DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling around HALF an electrical outlet

Hi,

Hope this wasn't addressed elsewhere - couldn't find it if it was.

I'm a new DIYer who decided to completely gut and redo my bathroom. I tried to plan ahead as much as possible and avoided many problems. What I didn't consider was that my wall tile (4' high off floor) would cut right through the middle of the electrical outlet and the light switch. The problem is that this will not allow the cover plates to sit flush. I'm looking for possible solutions.

I can't tile any higher (12" x 16" tile so I can't just add another row). Nor can I go lower a this point. The top row of tile will be 2 rows of 1x1 glass tile so I thought of wraping this around the outlet but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
thanks.

Patless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Move the box. It should be easy to move if you are remodeling.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Not sure if i understand what you are talking about but if the rec is where the tile will be cut the outlets out on the tile and then when you go to put them back in you will need longer screws 2 inch drywall screws will work then you can pick these up at lowes or hd pretty cheap it holds the outlet and the switch in place we use the all the time for tile backsplash If that was what you wanted to know? We call them spark guards

Last edited by 300zx; 10-06-2009 at 12:35 PM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patless View Post
Hi,

Hope this wasn't addressed elsewhere - couldn't find it if it was.

I'm a new DIYer who decided to completely gut and redo my bathroom. I tried to plan ahead as much as possible and avoided many problems. What I didn't consider was that my wall tile (4' high off floor) would cut right through the middle of the electrical outlet and the light switch. The problem is that this will not allow the cover plates to sit flush. I'm looking for possible solutions.

I can't tile any higher (12" x 16" tile so I can't just add another row). Nor can I go lower a this point. The top row of tile will be 2 rows of 1x1 glass tile so I thought of wraping this around the outlet but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
thanks.
Move the boxes or wrap the tile around the boxes.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #5

Don't know why I didn't think of moving the boxes - thanks, that will be easy enough. Just wondered if there was some novel suggestion or product out there.

cheers.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

I read all of the post, my vote:
Move the box.
Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

Thumbs up

As 300ZX (Poster #3) pointed out. Sometimes, they're called Box extensions. That's easier than moving the box. In any case, if you're installing "Decora" receptacles or switches be certain to chip off the tile (top and bottom) where the screws for the plate go. It will interfere with the screws (even if they are short). (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

Move it up or move it down. Sometimes it is really easy. Other times, not so much. Moving the box up is generally easier than moving it down. When you pull the switch out you will see how many cables are in it and if the come from the top or bottom. This will help determine which way to go with it.

If it's a newer house with a plastic nail on box it will be easy. Pry the box loose from the stud, deal with any staples that may restrict movement and slide it to it's new location and rescrew it thru the box to the wall.

I have seen switches and receps tiled around and they look like crap
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Move it up or move it down. Sometimes it is really easy. Other times, not so much. Moving the box up is generally easier than moving it down. When you pull the switch out you will see how many cables are in it and if the come from the top or bottom. This will help determine which way to go with it.

If it's a newer house with a plastic nail on box it will be easy. Pry the box loose from the stud, deal with any staples that may restrict movement and slide it to it's new location and rescrew it thru the box to the wall.

I have seen switches and receps tiled around and they look like crap
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing if the outlet will have tile around it use a sparkgaurd or Box extensions to bring the outlet to the right place works good. I think they look good when done
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
What I didn't consider was that my wall tile (4' high off floor) would cut right through the middle of the electrical outlet and the light switch.
He is talking about the horizontal plane at the top of his tile, half way up the wall.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #11

Well, it will be a little higher than I wanted if I move it up (too late to go down), but sounds like the easiest solution, especially since tiling around isn't ideal asthetically.