Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tiled my backsplash, too thick for outlet covers to fit to outlet. How do I fix?

Title says it all, thanks~!

Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Tiled my backsplash, too thick for outlet covers to fit to outlet. How do I fix?

The title says something. Are the screws to short to mount to the box? They make 6/32's in many lengths. Are the holes in the tile too small to accept the device? Roto zip or grinder will be in order. If your devices are Behind the tile and you can't get the cover on, well, you are going to have to remove them and mount them flush to the tile. 1/20 nuts make an excellent stand-off for the mounting screws. Good luck!

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

bacardi, goose is asking the questions that your title doesn't supply. If the outlet is buried in the wall under the tile you need to move it out even with the tile. If the box is the only problem use spacers and longer screws. Actually this should have been done prior to tileing.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Hello

You have a very common problem and it is cured with box extenders that are made to correct this issue.......

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Har...tage/Item/BE1/

http://www.receptxtenders.com/

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...er-102845.aspx

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks, yes the box was the problem and yes it would of been easier had I known it would of been an issue. I'll try spacers and screws first and if that doesn't work, new boxes.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Awesome post!!! So cool Stubbie, that's what I've been looking for to. After I resided my house and added 1" thick insulation my outlet is now over an inch behind the siding. I've been trying to figure out what's the best way to try to pull it out.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #7

Sigh, need a dermal (don't own one)...To add, if you're using the existing box and spacers you'll not only need longer outlet screws, you'll need longer cover screws...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Not if you use a box extender. You will need two long screws look at the first link.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 11-07-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #9

I have a somewhat related question. We want to add some wainscoat to existing drywall. The current boxes are of course set to the face of 1/2" drywall. If we add 1/8" or 1/4" wainscoat (haven't decided yet), do I need extenders, or do I just make sure the hole in the wainscoat is the size of the box so that the outlet ears sit on top of the wainscoat?
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
Seasoned Noob

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
I have a somewhat related question. We want to add some wainscoat to existing drywall. The current boxes are of course set to the face of 1/2" drywall. If we add 1/8" or 1/4" wainscoat (haven't decided yet), do I need extenders, or do I just make sure the hole in the wainscoat is the size of the box so that the outlet ears sit on top of the wainscoat?
while tiling my backsplash, i made sure to take hte tile close enough for the outlet 'ears' to sit on top of the tile. . .
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #11

I think in drywall, a 1/4" gap is ok, but in wood, which is combustable, i think you'll need a box extender to be compliant. I forget what the tolerances are in the various materials. Maybe a sparky can chime in with the data.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Not if you use a box extender. You will need two long screws look at the first link.
I understood, but I said IF YOU USE THE EXISTING...For me and I assume most, spacers and longer bolts is much cheaper and easier than box extenders...

Quote:
I did "look-a-like" wainscoat...If you're on a tight budget and ulitmately want to paint, not stain, as long as you have a descent looking drywall simple just paint it.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
Sigh, need a dermal (don't own one)...To add, if you're using the existing box and spacers you'll not only need longer outlet screws, you'll need longer cover screws...

only one qurik i will say this in here you say longer cover screws really it will not a wise idea because there is some devices if you used longer cover screws it can do some damage i know there were few repectales done that and broke it.

Merci , Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Electrician philosopher

Quote:
Sorry, robert...boxextenders to be compliant.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
I understood, but I said IF YOU USE THE EXISTING...For me and I assume most, spacers and longer bolts is much cheaper and easier than box extenders...
The big box stores have box extenders for less than a dollar.

spebby is offline   Reply With Quote