Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Tie off a run in junction box?

Hello,

I was digging in the flower bed out front today and found a buried wire the hard way, about four inches down. Knicked it just a bit. There's a flared piece of plastic insulation where I was digging, looks like it either is a defect in the insulation or maybe I knicked the wire. Hard to tell. I can't see copper, but I stuck a compact mirror underneath the cable and there's what might be dirt, might be exposed wire down there -- leaning towards dirt. Wrapped it with some electrical tape for now.

Now, the funny thing is, that wire doesn't go anywhere. When I first moved in there was a reference to a post lite on the electrical panel. I've since had the panel replaced and I don't know what breaker that was. I am assuming this wire goes to wherever that post used to be.

Traced it inside the house and it leads to a junction box in my crawlspace. No clue what is between the junction box and the panel, the wire leads up and could go anywhere. There is a lightswitch in the living room, just above the crawlspace, that does not appear to do anything -- I'm guessing this is the switch to my non-existent post lite.

Two questions:

1) Is there a safe way to repair that little knick (silicon, maybe) and forget about it?

2) Or should I just go to the junction box, disconnect the outgoing cable, and put nuts/electrical tape on the incoming wire. Is this safe to do?

Thanks
Dave

NotSoHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

If you are sure that you will never use the wire, then disconnecting at the j-box is a good idea.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #3

Pretty sure. Worst case I can always reconnect it. I wasn't sure leaving hot wires nutted off in the box was OK or not.
NotSoHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoHandyman View Post
Pretty sure. Worst case I can always reconnect it. I wasn't sure leaving hot wires nutted off in the box was OK or not.
No problem with that.