Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Share |
Default

Three way switch questions


Ok, here goes. 14/2 to box one. Box one is two 3-way switches. From each of these switches is a 14/3 to box two. Box two has two 3-ways. From Box two there is a 14/3 going to a fan light combo. Question is, should both groundeds be connected and both boxes. I'm looking at the diagram and something doesn't seem right(multiple return path of the two groundeds between the boxes).


Last edited by jerryh3; 11-16-2008 at 05:54 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Three way switch questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Ok, here goes. 14/2 to box one. Box one is two 3-way switches. From each of these switches is a 14/3 to box two. Box two has two 3-ways. From Box two there is a 14/3 going to a fan light combo. Question is, should both groundeds be connected and both boxes. I'm looking at the diagram and something doesn't seem right(multiple return path of the two groundeds between the boxes).

That would create a parallel neutral path no? Seems like a violation if you ask me.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

Three way switch questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
That would create a parallel neutral path no? Seems like a violation if you ask me.
That's what I was thinking. I'll just remove one of the neutral connections between the boxes. Should have only run one 14/3 and a 14/2 between the two boxes.

Last edited by jerryh3; 11-16-2008 at 06:03 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Three way switch questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I'll just remove one of the neutral connections between the box. Should have only run one 14/3 and a 14/2 between the two boxes.
I bet that happens alot with out people blinking twice at it. Pretty good catch if you ask me.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

Three way switch questions


I have to go back and look at it again tomorrow. Ran out of time today, and I just wanted to double check about the neutral. This box was a pain. Two three ways and a double switch. I love helping out family.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
switch


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing a bathroom fan switch cmacjr22 Electrical 4 11-04-2008 06:14 PM
old wire, backfed switch question Jack A. Trades Electrical 6 07-03-2008 11:05 AM
changing a fixture to an outlet - keeping the switch aweshucks Electrical 4 12-27-2007 05:06 PM
Basic Switch wiring question; Dimmer to Toggle switch (Pictures included) inspectator Electrical 8 08-07-2007 01:19 AM
Detached garage adding a 3 way switch. Slatherd Electrical 4 01-02-2006 02:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.