Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Three prong outlet on a non-grounded circuit

I was told that if you have an older receptacle that only takes a two pronged plug that in lieu of running new cable with a ground wire, that you can install a GFCI receptacle. It's still not grounded, but, it does have more safety. It was a number of years ago, but, I'm pretty sure it was an electrician who told me that.

I want to install a three hole receptacle in an older home with a non-three wire circuit. I also want to plug a splitter into that receptacle so I have a few more outlets (I won't exceed the amperage of the circuit). Since this might not work so well with a GFCI receptacles buttons I thought I would use a GFCI breaker.

When I looked at the instructions that came with the breaker it specifically says not to use it on an ungrounded circuit.

Anyone know anything about this. Am I just imagining the GFCI stuff???

tmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmort View Post
I was told that if you have an older receptacle that only takes a two pronged plug that in lieu of running new cable with a ground wire, that you can install a GFCI receptacle (and put the little sticker on the plate to say it is NOT grounded). It's still not grounded, but...

I want to install...
For what purpose?
Will you be adding a new circuit and using new (grounded) wire to feed it?

Plan on doing so and you'll be fine.
Attempt to tap into a existing (ungrounded or not) circuit to add multiple outlets and you may not be fine; especially so if the things you'll be plugging in a) really should have a ground or b) draw much power.

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

You have to mark the faceplate as Non-Grounded, or use a GFCI outlet instead of a standard three prong in place of the old two prong.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't planning on adding the "splitter" thing to add more outlets. The particular one does add more outlets, but, it also is adjustable somehow in that it allows you to plug in combinations of plugs/adapters that would normally not physically fit on a standard duplex outlet. One of the plugs is a right angle plug on a heavy duty extension cord for a window AC. I don't recall what the other plug looks like.

I wan't planning on running a new ungrounded line. I thought it just might be easier to replace the existing breaker for this circuit with a GFCI breaker.
tmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You have to mark the faceplate as Non-Grounded, or use a GFCI outlet instead of a standard three prong in place of the old two prong.
Standard 3 prong duplexes can be with GFI protection on an ungrounded circuit.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
You have to mark the faceplate as Non-Grounded, AND use a GFCI outlet instead of a standard three prong in place of the old two prong.
FIFY

Of course you can just leave the 2 prong device, but IF you do change to 3 prong, this is one option (at least for the first rec....and no ground to the downstream rec's.)
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
FIFY

Of course you can just leave the 2 prong device, but IF you do change to 3 prong, this is one option (at least for the first rec....and no ground to the downstream rec's.)
Majority of the two prong outlets still in use are a fire waiting for a truck to show up.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

That may be true, but they are still permitted.

I didn't say it was the best idea to leave them
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Electrical Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't planning on adding the "splitter" thing to add more outlets. The particular one does add more outlets, but, it also is adjustable somehow in that it allows you to plug in combinations of plugs/adapters that would normally not physically fit on a standard duplex outlet. One of the plugs is a right angle plug on a heavy duty extension cord for a window AC. I don't recall what the other plug looks like.

I wan't planning on running a new ungrounded line. I thought it just might be easier to replace the existing breaker for this circuit with a GFCI breaker.
A window A/C? What else are you wanting to plug in here? Better yet, how many watts is your A/C?
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
Banned Electrician

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

What is the voltage of you A/C unit? It could be rated 230 volts if the configuration does not fit a standard 15 amp receptacle,Also Running an A/C unit off of a 2 wire non-grounded circuit that is at least 60 years old is asking for trouble

Read the Box that the a/c unit came in to determine the size and Voltage of the circuit it needs, and run either a 15 or 20 amp circuit to where you will be using the A/C unit
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #11

You can replace a non grounding receptacle with a GFCI. It must be marked "No Equipment Ground".
hacksawjiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Majority of the two prong outlets still in use are a fire waiting for a truck to show up.
If/where so... it's not because of the device itself.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
How are ungrounded receptacles a fire hazard?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
One of the plugs is a right angle plug on a heavy duty extension cord for a window AC. I don't recall what the other plug looks like.

I wasn't planning on running a new ungrounded line.
If your home uses window AC's then plan on a new grounded line for them.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 07-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
How are ungrounded receptacles a fire hazard?
They are if old and allow the plug to be too loose in it.