Three Pole Motor Control - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

Three pole motor control

Ok, so i'm going to wire my dust collector to a switched outlet for turning it on and off.....I found a leviton heavy duty 20 amp wall switch at home depot that said its rated for motor control.....but the more I got thinking, the more i'd like to do it as a three way so I can turn it on and off from both sides of the shop. However, I can't find a three way that says for motor control on it. I'm finding plenty of heavy duty ones that look the same, but just list fixtures on them, not motors. Do they exist? And if so, are they going to break the bank? The two way is only 5 bucks......

Advertisement

ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

Three pole motor control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Ok, so i'm going to wire my dust collector to a switched outlet for turning it on and off.....I found a leviton heavy duty 20 amp wall switch at home depot that said its rated for motor control.....but the more I got thinking, the more i'd like to do it as a three way so I can turn it on and off from both sides of the shop. However, I can't find a three way that says for motor control on it. I'm finding plenty of heavy duty ones that look the same, but just list fixtures on them, not motors. Do they exist? And if so, are they going to break the bank? The two way is only 5 bucks......
Use standard 3 way switches and a contactor.

Advertisement

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-30-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Three pole motor control

Ok, i'm looking at the delta 1.5 hp dust collector and it'll be running on 120V, this switch is the three pole version of the one I bought.....but it lists only 1 hp as the max in the tech specs.......but its a 20 amp switch, and the dust collector only draws 15 amps.....

HELP....i'm confused
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Three pole motor control

Quote:
Ok, i'm looking at the delta 1.5 hp dust collector and it'll be running on 120V, this switch is the three pole version of the one I bought.....but it lists only 1 hp as the max in the tech specs.......but its a 20 amp switch, and the dust collector only draws 15 amps.....

HELP....i'm confused
Read post #2....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

Three pole motor control

Quote:

HELP....i'm confused
Switch has to be horsepower rated. Your probabely going to need a motor starter and control it with two 3 way switches.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Three pole motor control

Quote:
Ryan.,

The best answer to slove your issue is use the common three way switch and a motour starter contractor that is the best methold to use and I have done that few time in couple customer location so it have a very good result with it.

The other reason why few of us mention motour contractor due some of the dust collector some of them their motour do not have any overload protection so that is the other reason why I used them.

The other reason why I do this is keep the voltage drop to the minum so when the motour start up it don't drop the voltage very much during start up and during running mode as well.

The nice thing with this set up the three way switch will last a long time due you will only switching the contractor load not the motour load so that is one of few big plus.

Just try to see what the 30 amp three way switch cost ( they are CV rated ) but the cost will useally get ya so a common 3 way switch plus contractor is genrally cheaper than use 30 amp three way plus 12 gauge or 10 gauge conductor depending on the run so it will add up fast.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Three pole motor control

Maybe I'll stick to a simple two pole.....I think the other options are above my expertise

Advertisement