Think YOUR Electric Bill Is High? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Unhappy

Think YOUR electric bill is high?

See what a small natural disaster can do:

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...69314122.shtml

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote from article:

Residential electricity will rise to at least 50 cents per kilowatt-hour or higher from a current average of 11 cents per kilowatt-hour, Wood said. That number is not firm yet.

Holy crap, Lois!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Their are 2 electic utilities in my area. The rural co-op had a 17% increase this month and they say the increase will be over 100% over the next few months, they say it's fuel prices.
The other one informed us that we will will all be paying a monthly fee to cover the bills not being payed by those people that don't pay their electric bills

I'm filling out my application to join the local militia this morning!
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Once fried, twice shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Their are 2 electic utilities in my area. The rural co-op had a 17% increase this month and they say the increase will be over 100% over the next few months, they say it's fuel prices.
The other one informed us that we will will all be paying a monthly fee to cover the bills not being payed by those people that don't pay their electric bills

I'm filling out my application to join the local militia this morning!
Has this anything to do with the weakening of the US economy?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkangorito View Post
Has this anything to do with the weakening of the US economy?

The people that don't pay their bills will have you believe that, but just walk into some of their low income housing, everyone of them has multiple TVs with the cable box on top to get the "extended" plan at $60 + a month. Then look out in the parking lot and the jazzed up cars they drive.
In my area there are more homeowners driving 3/4 ton pickups than contractors (about 12 MPG).
I believe the economy has to get drastically worst before people change their lifestyles, and they still won't if the government bails them out like they are attempting to do with the subprime mortgage mess.

The only ones I feel sorry for right now are the retirees that are on a fixed income, the economy is really going to start hurting them, if it already hasn't. Everybody else can just work some overtime or deliver pizzas for a second job

Time for my interview with the local militia!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

Well thank goodness we're taking our food and making fuel (and not even decent fuel) from it. That should help things!
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
Well thank goodness we're taking our food and making fuel (and not even decent fuel) from it. That should help things!

Don't even get me started on the "welfare for farmers" program that is driving up the prices on everything in the grocery store.

Time to go buy more bullets!

And digging holes in the backyard
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,408

El Kangarito

No it has to do with the United States of America's working citizens being the "bird feeder' for a political administration led by a misguided president. When the feeder is full all is fine until you get all the crap from the free loaders who don't know how to make an honest living. When I go to the emergency room at the hospital I have to wait 4 hours while they serve the "free" non-paying people who sponge off of a system that has failed to close the bird feeder off to abusive non working people on welfare or illegal non tax paying immigrants.

For your information the fuel oriented utilities in this country have been making outrageous profits which they have not been able to justify. The present administration will not require the CEO's be legally sworn in during testimony to answer to the high profits they are making. This allows these so called CEO's to avoid the truth.....legally.

I envy your home country as they have pretty blatantly told the people that don't like it there that they will help them leave. The USA should pay attention to Australia. And you are making those leave who are speaking out against your flag. Notice I said your flag and not religion or freedom of speech.

Yes the US economy is undergoing some rather bizzare circumstances at the moment. The solution is to let the bird feeder run dry and everybody feeding from it will either work or get the hell out or end up in jail when they turn to crime.

I also believe that the majority of working and tax paying American citizens are sick of the bird feeder and sick of the politicians padding there pockets from it. Saving the world has become a lost cause IMO as it is apparent these 3rd world countries only want us dead and an American made bird feeder in their back yard while they preach killing westerners.

Unfortunately our politicians have spent many years passing legistation that benefits them, like removing themselves from the social security system then turning around and borrowing from it to fund the bird feeder. Social security is the citizens retirement paid into by their payroll deductions required by the government just like taxes. Which is now being emptied by the free feeders at the working mans expense.

BTW our economy is a giant sleeping so don't underestimate it's ability to rebound , unfortunately we have been a little misguided by politics with a self interest agenda.

I think you will find if you and I shared a fishing boat we would be good friends and both of us would willingly share or pay for all the expense just for the enjoyment and company.

I would advise though not to share your fishing boat with a politician or your going to be missing your wallet by the end of the day....

How was that for a electrical answer?......

Last edited by Stubbie; 04-18-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
No it has to do with the United States of America's working citizens being the "bird feeder' for a political administration led by a misguided president.
Ahh, Stubbie. Can I join you guys in your fishing boat? I'll bring the beer.

You're a helluva guy for all the contributions you make to this forum but an undisputed gem for your remark I quoted above!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Once fried, twice shy.

Stubbie, my comments in blue.

Quote:
El Kangarito

No it has to do with the United States of America's working citizens being the "bird feeder' for a political administration led by a misguided president.

I won't argue with that.

When the feeder is full all is fine until you get all the crap from the free loaders who don't know how to make an honest living. When I go to the emergency room at the hospital I have to wait 4 hours while they serve the "free" non-paying people who sponge off of a system that has failed to close the bird feeder off to abusive non working people on welfare or illegal non tax paying immigrants.

I used to think the same as you...until I lived in a few different countries. Now, I see people as being people. Yes, you are correct in that there are "free loaders" but the world will never be free of them. The same as the world will never be free from power hungry politicians. I'd sooner support a "free loader" than a power hungry politician. The "free loader" will only take what is given. The power hungry politician will try to take everything from everybody. At the same time, if these folks had a chance at a reasonable education etc, they may not be a burden on the system.

For your information the fuel oriented utilities in this country have been making outrageous profits which they have not been able to justify. The present administration will not require the CEO's be legally sworn in during testimony to answer to the high profits they are making. This allows these so called CEO's to avoid the truth.....legally.

This is typical of any right wing government. Money first...people 2nd. A dictatorship generally follows similar ideals.

I envy your home country as they have pretty blatantly told the people that don't like it there that they will help them leave.

This is news to me. Nobody helped me to leave Australia...or have I misunderstood you?

The USA should pay attention to Australia. And you are making those leave who are speaking out against your flag. Notice I said your flag and not religion or freedom of speech.

Most young Australians are not "nationalists", as they are aware of the dangers involved. It's the older Australians who are nationalists & thereby support racism & segregation. Australia is not making anyone leave if they "speak out against the flag". You may have this idea from the previous war mongering Australian Prime Minister, John Howard. He was Georges "deputy sheriff" & is disliked by many because he wanted to take away the rights of the working class to suit the corporations.

I don't know of anybody being asked to leave Australia because of an issue with the Australian flag/ideal etc.

Yes the US economy is undergoing some rather bizzare circumstances at the moment. The solution is to let the bird feeder run dry and everybody feeding from it will either work or get the hell out or end up in jail when they turn to crime.

I also believe that the majority of American citizens are sick of the bird feeder and sick of the politicians padding there pockets from it. Saving the world has become a lost cause IMO as it is apparent these 3rd world countries only want us dead and an American made bird feeder in their back yard while they preach killing westerners.

"Saving the world" was never anyones responsibility, as far as I knew. I think that in this case, it is a "cause & effect" result.

Unfortunately our politicians have spent many years passing legistation that benefits them, like removing themselves from the social security system then turning around and borrowing from it to fund the bird feeder. Social security is the citizens retirement paid into by their payroll deductions required by the government just like taxes. Which is now being emptied by the free feeders at the working mans expense.

I wouldn't blame the "free loaders" for taking advantage of what the politicians have made available.

BTW our economy is a giant sleeping so don't underestimate it's ability to rebound , unfortunately we have been a little misguided by politics with a self interest agenda.

Strangely, I don't see any "economy" as being the net worth or strength of any people/country. What I do see & understand is that the strength of people as a group is more powerful than any economy or military force. This also is not affected by politics.

I think you will find if you and I shared a fishing boat we would be good friends and both of us would willingly share or pay for all the expense just for the enjoyment and company.

You're bloody right on about that brother .

I would advise though not to share your fishing boat with a politician or your going to be missing your wallet by the end of the day....

Remember the movie "The Hunt for Red October"? What did the Secretary of State say...something like, "If we're not patt'n babies heads, we're stealin their candy."

How was that for a electrical answer?......
Stubbie, I consider you one of the few people with whom I can talk to & be understood on this forum, albeit in a technical way. Nonetheless, I feel that I know as much about the USA as you know about Australia. I just hope that we cannot rely on the "news" to relay any info.

Getting back on topic & with regard to the prospective cost of energy, I believe that Fuel Cells will lead the way. I'm currently helping a university student (mechanical engineering...very strange) with his thesis. It is about fuel cells.
These things have been around for about 100 years, believe it or not & they are now about to make a huge impact on our lives. The quicker this happens, the more reasonable prices of other fuels/energies become (competition).
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,408

Quote:
Stubbie, I consider you one of the few people with whom I can talk to & be understood on this forum, albeit in a technical way. Nonetheless, I feel that I know as much about the USA as you know about Australia. I just hope that we cannot rely on the "news" to relay any info.
I'll second that!!! I didn't realize you had changed countries I just thought you were on a temporary work assignment. You are right I only know what I read about Australia and the news media ain't to reliable these days.....

I served 4 years in our Military and saw a lot of the world (not Australia) but always wanted to return home to the good ole USA.
Maybe not perfect but I'd die for her if I had to defend what we have here on our soil.

As for the fuel issues of the world and all the greed that it has generated I would welcome fuel cells and non-fossil alternatives before this whole mess kills our planet.

As for politicians they need to be returned to working like the rest of us. I bet they would get things fixed in a hurry. No more 1000 $ per plate
campaign dinners. They aren't welcoming the working class at those prices.

I enjoy your perspective of the world it is a good check and balance for me.

Have a good day.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 622

I wouldn't blame the "free loaders" for taking advantage of what the politicians have made available.

Who elects these politicians? They are guaranteed the free loader vote, but they must also get the vote of the working people. We've come full circle, we have no one to blame but ourselves for allowing it to happen.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Once fried, twice shy.

Quote:
I'll second that!!! I didn't realize you had changed countries I just thought you were on a temporary work assignment. You are right I only know what I read about Australia and the news media ain't to reliable these days.....

I served 4 years in our Military and saw a lot of the world (not Australia) but always wanted to return home to the good ole USA.
Maybe not perfect but I'd die for her if I had to defend what we have here on our soil.

As for the fuel issues of the world and all the greed that it has generated I would welcome fuel cells and non-fossil alternatives before this whole mess kills our planet.

I enjoy your perspective of the world it is a good check and balance for me.

Have a good day.
Well mate, I have no intention whatsoever of returning to Australia. The "slaves" can have it. I might earn a pittance here in Thailand but the quality of my my life is through the roof compared to "wonderful" Australia.

I actually served 5 years in the military...2 years in the RAAF & 3 years in the RAN. I don't regret any of the time but it did teach me to hate war.

I would never die for a country (a piece of dirt) as such. On the other hand, I'd happily fight for freedom against any oligarchy, anywhere in the world. I see myself as a "member of the world" & not as an "Australian".

As far as fuel cells are concerned, all it will take is for someone to come up with an efficient & pollution free way of producing hydrogen gas. There are many ways of doing this but they are quite slow. The most common & current way is to burn coal, which destroys the whole meaning of the fuel cell. Don't worry, the oil barons realise that their days are numbered, which maybe why the price of oil is so high. Fuel cell technology has advanced greatly in the last 20 years & already car manufacturers like Honda are developing a commercially available "fuel cell" vehicle". I must hasten to point out that fuel cell vehicles are totally different from "hybrid" vehicles. Fuel cells do not store energy.

Anyway mate, you have a bloody great day too .
Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
They are guaranteed the free loader vote, but they must also get the vote of the working people. We've come full circle, we have no one to blame but ourselves for allowing it to happen.
When Bush got re-elected for a second term, I was convinced that the voting system was corrupt!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #15

BigJimmy, did they ever fix the voting in Illinois? It used to be horribly corrupt and the Dems controlled it. That's kinda the way it is in Wisconsin. I'd bet big money that our Governor will be brought up on Federal charges at some point in the future.

Advertisement

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote