Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Think a fire prevention officer would hate this?

I will be getting an inspection done as I got a letter in the mail for it, I believe it's because I'm a new home owner and I recently filled out a property assessment form that I got, asking me questions about the property such as if I did any changes and what not.

Think they'd hate seeing these two things?

The basement wires, I will just fix it before they inspect, I wanted to do it a long time ago and just kept putting it off, so think now is a good time.

But if I was to leave it think that would be a big flag? I don't really think it's to code. It's not really unsafe given it's not really used and is just sitting there, there, but still. The plug for my servers also hangs, but not as bad as that one.

The custom lamp is safe and not really any different then something that would be inside a wall, but since it's custom would it raise a flag?

I can always just put it away, but I rather them see everything as normal, and tell me that I pass, then me trying to hide stuff. I'll feel better that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Think a fire prevention officer would hate this?-custom-lamp.jpg   Think a fire prevention officer would hate this?-dangling-plugs.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

Put the 'lamp' away. They would definitely not like it.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

I would lose the extension cords. They are typically defined as "temporary use only" which in NJ I believe is still 30 days, so that would raise a flag for me during an inspection. Remember, the less that the inspector sees that seems abnormal, the quicker the inspection will typically go.
wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Extension cords & surge protectors are used in almost every house that I have ever seen
I hardly consider them for Temp use for 30 days
I have several in my basement, including one to a dehumid
Inspectors have never mentioned or even looked at them
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #5

Don't doubt that at all. Most Uniform Fire Codes don't apply to 1 and 2 family owner occupied dwellings, (R-3) use groups, if memory serves me. I know I have quite a few in my house and ran my garage door opener off of one for longer than 30 days until I could get the new outlet set up. The less you leave around for the inspector to see, the better off you are in my opinion, at least that was my mindset when I was still an inspector. Since NJ switched to the ICC from the UFC, the rules may have changed, it's been a few years since I've had to have it memorized.
wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Actually yeah I unplugged that big orange extension cord. There was nothing plugged into it, but it was there whenever I needed power for the shop vac to clean cob webs. I rolled it up and put it away. Somebody borrowed my shop vac and I have not seen it for months so probably wont need that cord.

Have one extension cord I use, the rest is all directly plugged. I do have some power bars though but that is pretty much the norm. Think even in a public setting power bars are allowed for permanent use, but I do know extension cords are frowned upon and not allowed. I remember when there was an inspector coming to our school when I was working there, and we joked about plugging the water cooler into a 50 footer extension cord coiled up behind it just to see their reaction. Never did it of course.

I also fixed the hanging plugs, I just put two new decora plugs in the ceiling (hard to see in the picture), with face plates. I would have just removed that circuit portion completely but it feeds one of the plugs in the spare bedroom and instead of having two junction boxes, I decided to make it useful by putting receptacles. I can plug my shop vac extension cord in there as needed. I regret not using new wire though, that old stuff is a PAIN to work with. On one of them the ground wire broke and I had maybe 1 inch to play with, wire nutted another piece and managed, but it was pretty tight.

Now the only hanging plug is the server "room" one, but it's minor. When I actually build that room with stud walls I will run proper electrical. They might mention something about the UPS being on the ground though, I'll wait and see.

I'm actually looking forward to this in a way since it will give me an idea of how good or bad of a job I'm doing overall when it comes to fire prevention. They are also checking other things like fire detectors. Electrical is just a small part of the inspection. They will mostly check obvious stuff like over sized breakers, defective cords etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Think a fire prevention officer would hate this?-server.jpg   Think a fire prevention officer would hate this?-no-more-hanging-plugs.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Extension cords & surge protectors are used in almost every house that I have ever seen
I hardly consider them for Temp use for 30 days
I have several in my basement, including one to a dehumid
Inspectors have never mentioned or even looked at them
My dehumidifier came with a note about using extension cords and starting a fire.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
fabrk8r

Is that a laundry chute opening in the last pic?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
My dehumidifier came with a note about using extension cords and starting a fire.
Because many people do not have any common sense & use a light weight extension cord
And in order to avoid lawsuits companies have to keep putting warnings on their products
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Because many people do not have any common sense & use a light weight extension cord
And in order to avoid lawsuits companies have to keep putting warnings on their products
Make sense.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Is that a laundry chute opening in the last pic?

The white square thing? It's an old recessed light. I took it out of service so it's just there, not hooked up.

And yeah I have seen many warnings on items about extension cords and it my first guess was also liability.

It turns out this inspection is more a self check, since I called the FD to schedule and they said I can just fill it in and bring it. I'm surprised, figured they'd want to do one themselves.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #12

you filled out the MPAC forms? lol enjoy your increased taxes
RTypeEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Totally screwed together

The exposed romex next to your servers has to be corrected... by just moving the box up to the studs and running an extension cord to your UPS.

The Box Hanging by it's wire has to go, you could probably mount it in the joists pointing down.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTypeEman View Post
you filled out the MPAC forms? lol enjoy your increased taxes
I'm pretty sure it's obligatory. I'm hoping I actually get a decrease because I went from a finished basement to unfinished basement, but knowing how the city likes to play around with that, they'll find a way to increase them I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I'm pretty sure it's obligatory. I'm hoping I actually get a decrease because I went from a finished basement to unfinished basement, but knowing how the city likes to play around with that, they'll find a way to increase them I'm sure.
they've been trying to get me to fill them out for over a year now... all they can do is keep asking

RTypeEman is offline   Reply With Quote